Celebrating Christ with our Community

Our first all-school mass allowed for the entire St. Dominic community to come together and celebrate Christ

Jim Faasen

To take a break from the craziness of homecoming week, last Wednesday we had our first all-school mass of the year. It was an amazing experience to all come together as a community in Christ.

Affected by COVID last year, mass looks a lot different than before. Students and teachers were able to sit much closer together, resulting in packed bleachers and the floor filled with upperclassmen.

Our school community is much larger than in years before, and it was the first time we were all together, almost 1,000 of us, coming together to thank God for all he has done for us.  

“It’s cool to see how large our school community has grown. It was beautiful to relish in our community being able to be together and pray together. We could all face Christ together, feeling more like home,” campus minister Mr. Andrew Struttman said.

Vice President of Mission and Identity and resident priest Fr. Patrick Russell celebrated the mass. He gave a beautiful homily about just how much God loves us, even if we feel like we don’t deserve it. Fr. Russell had all of the teachers stand up and remind us that they love us as well, that every student is loved and belongs in the St. Dominic community.

Being the first mass of the year, it was also the first mass for our new senior peer ministers. A group of six peer ministers, along with Fr. Russell and Mr. Struttman, help set up for mass, plan the decor, and the readings.

“Everyone’s really excited about planning and being able to be leaders for mass. It’s a great, Christ-centered community, especially when we all kneeled together during mass,” peer minister Adri Weber said.

Being all together we were able to honor some of our high-achieving students. Principal Mrs. Stacy Stewart shouted out senior Sean Walsh, who was a National Merit Semi-Finalist, on his high academic achievement. Athletic director Mr. Kevin Roberts highlighted the girls Varsity soccer team who won the state championship last spring. Head Coach Mr. Greg Koeller gave an inspiring speech about the amazing effort and comrodority of the girls and presented them with their state rings.

All school mass is always an incredible experience; we’re so grateful that we have the opportunity to celebrate our faith together.