The student news site of St. Dominic High School

Crusader Nation

• May 2, 2024

Broadcast

May 2, 2024

• This Thursday at St. Dominic is the annual Crusader Day!

Showcase

Celebrate St. Dominic

• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

Entertainment

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• St. Dominic prom will be hosted at Old Hickory tomorrow

Showcase

Once Upon A Prom

• Lily’s Letter

A Letter From the Editor

Lily’s Letter

• Noahs Letter

A Letter From the Editor

Noah’s Letter

• Alyssas Letter

A Letter From the Editor

Alyssa’s Letter

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Sports

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

• April 18, 2024

Broadcast

April 18, 2024

• Evan Luke posing for his Senior year high school photos

Players to Watch

Player to Watch: Evan Luke

Crusader Nation

Crusader Nation

Preview of Dominic’s annual Track Invitational

The Crusaders prepare for the St. Dominic Invitational this Friday
@St.Dominic X

Once again, Dominic hosts its third annual Crusader Invitational this Friday night. This track meet is filled with competition as over 8 teams travel to Dominic ready to race and compete for the winning title. Additionally, this meet is exclusive to varsity members making the atmosphere and rivialry even more exciting.  

Long Distance

Dominic’s distance team faces off against fierce competitors including Orchard Farm and St. Charles High. While the weather has been tricky this past week, the runners have trained through difficult workouts targeting their endurance and strength. Runners such as junior Henry Wood feel pumped and ready to face the distance by racing the typical long races: 4×800, 1600, and 3200. 

“By doing speed workouts like ladders and workouts that progressively get harder, I gain more confidence in myself for race day,” Wood said. 

Throwing

After losing a tremendous amount of seniors last year, the throwers are currently rebuilding a stronger team. Luckily, with the amount of strength training they have participated in, they should have no problem. At the Crusader Invitational, varsity members will compete in throwing events such as shot put, discus, and javelin and settle the known rivalry between St. Charles High. 

“When I throw at meets, it also helps to remember my training and the cues and tips my coach gave me to improve,” junior Peter Cosmopoulos said. 

Pole vaulting

Pole Vaulting is a fan favorite around St. Dominic. Many students find lots of interest and excitement in this unique sport, which turns everyone’s head to this event. Emma Gangipain is a junior and she is in the number two spot for the girls team, she has a PR of 2.29. Pole Vaulting is one of the most relaxing events of track. Rumor has it that they even do yoga to let them relax and prepare. 

“I really enjoy track, because I’ve never done it before and it helps me get out of my comfort zone and want to get out and try new things,” Junior Emma Thornton said. 

Jumping

St. Dominic has many different events for everyone. Another one of those events is jumping. This consists of Long jump, Triple jump and High jump. This year junior Alaina Osreker is the leader of the High Jump for the girls team, setting the bar high with a PR of 1.47. Ava Fernandez is another very impressive junior jumper, she holds the number one spot for Long and Triple Jump. All of these jumpers have put lots of hard work in during their season. Lots of this comes from their conditioning, which is running stairs and hills. 

I chose high jump because since I was in Grade school I have always loved high jump. I just love working hard and having fun at the same time. The feeling I get when I do get a PR is amazing and shows that all my hard work paid off,” Osreker said.

Hurdling

Many people may think that hurdles is the easiest event when it comes to track, but it’s the complete opposite. Hurdles is considered one of the hardest events due to its lack of hurdlers and interest. Each year lots of new talent comes in giving athletes the chance to grow trying something new. Freshman Izzy Woytus is one of the new talents that has come along this year to run the 100 meter. She is currently holding the number one spot for the girls team with a solid 22.09 as her PR.  

“I like to challenge myself, and figured I’d meet my match with hurdles. Surprisingly, I like the event and enjoy working to reach my full potential,” Woytus said. 

Sprints

As always St. Dominic has an abundance of fast sprinters but only few can compete at the Crusader Invitational. Over the past week, sprinters have been training efficiently by doing a variety of workouts including lifts, block work, and ladders. While the season has just begun, their hard work has already paid off, and will continue at the upcoming Crusader Invitational. Both the boys and girls are expected to place high in events such as the 100, 200, and 400, along with the sprint relays.  

“The training this season has kept me in great shape, and has helped me get faster at a good pace,” sophomore Heidi Zeigler said. 

If you’re looking for something to do on Friday night make sure to stop by the Crusader Stadium to watch the Crusader Invitational. Dominic’s track athletes are competing alongside 11 other schools, so you know that it’s going to be a great competition!