• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

Spring Sport Preview

Many Crusader athletes are preparing for the spring sport season
Lucy Ryan

Spring sports are right around the corner. Players and coaches are preparing for the upcoming season during dead week. All seven sports have had workouts in the offseason to make sure players are at their very best heading into the season. 

Girls soccer has been very successful in the last five years. They won state in ‘19, ‘21, and ‘22. Head Coach Greg Koeller is ready to step on the pitch to win another State Championship this year. With young talent, and veteran experience, the girls can not wait to put in the work. Their first game is March 19th vs Ursuline. Come out to support the girls on another season in the Crusader Stadium. 

“I am very excited to start up the 2024 season! We have a very promising group of players this year and I am beyond ready to start playing some very talented teams, and building this program’s culture,” Junior Grace Luedde said. 

Boys volleyball is coming off another great year. They made it all the way in 2022 by coming home with St. Dominic’s first Boys Volleyball State Championship. Senior Noah Schuessler has high expectations for this year. He is ready to be a senior leader, and the whole team is ecstatic for the season to finally be here. The boys lead off the year on March 18th vs Seckman Senior High. Be there to cheer the boys on in the lively gym atmosphere. 

“I think what I am most excited for is to finally be the senior on the team this season. We have gone to state the past two years, and I think if we play hard, and like I know we can, I think we will surprise a lot of teams this year,” Senior Noah Schuessler said.

Boys baseball is ready to hit their way into the season. The teams first up to bat is on March 9th at St. John Vianney. The team has a handful of seniors along with a stacked schedule. They hit the ground running in their first tournament very quickly into the season. Boys baseball travels to the St. Charles West tournament on March 15th. This is a huge season for the boys, and an exciting time for the seniors to show up for one last season. 

“The thing I’m always most excited for when it comes to new seasons, are endless possibilities of what may happen. Anything is possible with a fresh start,” Coach Cie Arell said.  

Girls lacrosse is ready to get back on the field, as they start off early with a jamboree at Francis Howell Central on March 13th. The six seniors are excited and want to go farther in the postseason this year. Head Coach Lukas Duncan, is ready for the season with a new coach to the system and confident players. The first home game is March 26th against Notre Dame High School. Make sure to come out to support the girls!

“I am so excited for this season to start. The team has been preparing all winter at open field and weights. We are more than ready to step on the field against any opponent,” Senior Mallory Allen said. 

The track and field teams are ready to get off running on a strong season. St. Dominic hosts a welcome meet on March 27th, make sure to come out to cheer on the Crusader athletes. The track program is huge, and has a variety of events for anyone. Head Coach Blake Markway, takes his skill from a successful football season into making track just as successful. He is ready to conquer all competition. Both girls and boys teams come off successful 2023 seasons with coming home with multiple meet wins. 

“I’m most excited for competing with my teammates and pushing others to be our very best,” Junior Abby Woytus said. 

Boys tennis is ready to hit into the season. They have strong competition right off the bat, they face off at Francis Howell Central on March 16th. Head Coach Noah Duncan, is excited to get back on the court with the boys. With the four new tennis courts, it gives every Crusader student plenty of room to cheer on the team. Come out to the first home game on March 25th against Fort Zumwalt East.

“We had a young team last year and I’m looking forward to each of those players stepping up their game this season,” Coach Duncan said. 

Boys golf is ready to swing into the beginning of the season. Head Coach Dan Matusiak is coming off a stellar season from the girls, who brought home the first ever Golf State Championship in the fall. The boys are losing six incredible seniors that will leave a hole in the program, but with a big team, it gives a great opportunity for the underclassmen to step up on the course. The first match is March 18th against Father Tolton. 

“I am looking forward to playing with everyone I played with last year. The team last year was very fun and I hope most of us make it to state this year,” Sophomore Dominic Saputo said. 

The Crusader campus is gonna be lively with all the sports this spring. Seniors are ready to conquer their sports as it is their last season in the Dominic uniform. Make sure to come out and support the athletes this spring!