The student news site of St. Dominic High School

Crusader Nation

• Messi will have to decide: Copa America or the Olympics?

Sports

Messi’s Big Decision

• February 28, 2024

Broadcast

February 28, 2024

• USA hockey team unexpectedly beats USSR in 1980 Winter Olympics

Sports

44th Anniversary of USA hockey’s Miracle on ice

• SDHS celebrates the three Lenten Pillars: almsgiving, fasting, and prayer

Features

Our Lenten Journey

• Ruby Franke and Jodi Hildebrandt at their February 20th hearing

News

YouTube Mom Ruby Franke and Counselor Jodi Hildebrandt Sentenced in Court

•  Boys Volleyball have had tremendous success the past two seasons

Sports

Spring Sports Preview: Boys Volleyball

• Coach Jowers ready to tackle the excitement of freshman soccer!

Sports

New Freshman Girls Soccer Coach

• SDHS Baseball ready for redemption after disappointing end in 2023

Showcase

A Look Into the Upcoming Baseball Season

• NHL players make their long awaited return to the Olympics

Sports

A Return To The Games

• The Odysseus lunar lander successfully reached the moon on Thursday

News

Odysseus Moon Mission Makes History

Crusader Nation

Crusader Nation

Behind the Scenes of the Dominican Way Awards

This+Thursday+St.+Dominic+will+celebrate+so+many+students+
Haley Cannavan
This Thursday St. Dominic will celebrate so many students

St. Dominic is no stranger to showing off their students’ accomplishments. That being said, the Dominican Way Award Ceremony is right around the corner. Soon, tons of Dominic students will be honored for their service, prayer, and leadership throughout the school year. 

“It is an award that allows our teachers, administration, and staff to share the impacts that the students have made and make on us,” Principal Mrs. Stewart said. 

The process of choosing candidates is left to the discretion of each teacher and staff member. Although there is no set criteria for the candidates, teachers are encouraged to choose a student who has gone above and beyond in school, but also in other environments as well. 

The selection is completely up to the teacher to decide. This could be someone who they believe has improved as a student in their class academically, socially, or spiritually,” Stewart said. 

The award ceremony is also very unique. Instead of recognizing a student for their academic achievements or sport’s accomplishments, it focuses on bigger accomplishments. This includes a student’s improvement and progress inside and outside of school. 

“It is very different from an academic award where you have to reach a certain GPA, or an athletic award because of your progress in a sport. It is simply being recognized by the character of the student or the hard work of a student,” Stewart said.

St. Dominic is known for their four pillars, which include prayer, service, community, and study. When choosing a candidate for the ceremony, many teacher’s take into consideration the importance of these pillars and what they actually show. 

“Mrs. Marnatti was the teacher that gave me the award. I was given this around my sophomore year. I was given this award because she said I embody the four pillars of St. Dominic, and that I help my fellow peers in my community,” Junior Ava Pritt said.

No doubt, this ceremony plays an important role in the St. Dominic community. The awards recognize students who demonstrate good character which boosts Dominic’s morale. It also gives St. Dominic the chance to showcase all the good qualities within their students, and show their growth over the year. 

“I believe the award gives our faculty and staff a chance to honor a student that has made an impact in some aspect of their teaching days, and it gives us an opportunity to share that with their peers and parents,” Stewart said. 

Many students have been recognized throughout their years at St. Dominic. Although the ceremony has only been around for four years, its legacy has already begun. St. Dominic staff and students look forward to and anticipate what this award will bring in the coming years. 

While the Dominican Way candidates have already been chosen, it’s never too late to make a difference throughout the community. Make sure you congratulate your fellow peers and students that have been selected and continue to boost St. Dominic’s morale!