The student news site of St. Dominic High School

Crusader Nation

• Messi will have to decide: Copa America or the Olympics?

Sports

Messi’s Big Decision

• February 28, 2024

Broadcast

February 28, 2024

• USA hockey team unexpectedly beats USSR in 1980 Winter Olympics

Sports

44th Anniversary of USA hockey’s Miracle on ice

• SDHS celebrates the three Lenten Pillars: almsgiving, fasting, and prayer

Features

Our Lenten Journey

• Ruby Franke and Jodi Hildebrandt at their February 20th hearing

News

YouTube Mom Ruby Franke and Counselor Jodi Hildebrandt Sentenced in Court

•  Boys Volleyball have had tremendous success the past two seasons

Sports

Spring Sports Preview: Boys Volleyball

• Coach Jowers ready to tackle the excitement of freshman soccer!

Sports

New Freshman Girls Soccer Coach

• SDHS Baseball ready for redemption after disappointing end in 2023

Showcase

A Look Into the Upcoming Baseball Season

• NHL players make their long awaited return to the Olympics

Sports

A Return To The Games

• The Odysseus lunar lander successfully reached the moon on Thursday

News

Odysseus Moon Mission Makes History

Crusader Nation

Crusader Nation

Under the Stars

@SDHSJimWelby on X
St. Dominic’s Winter Formal concludes a wonderful Catholic Schools Week

This weekend, St. Dominic kicks off its spring semester with its first big event, Catholic Schools Week. Festivities started on Monday and will end on Saturday, with the wonderful Winter Formal. 

The Winter Formal compared to Homecoming is not as big of a celebration. Not to mention, that for the juniors and seniors, prom is right around the corner. However, the underclassmen really seem to enjoy having another dance to look forward to, during the second semester.

“Homecoming is usually hectic and super crowded, where the Winter Formal is smaller and less crowded. I have gone for the past two years, and look forward to going again for the third time this year,” Junior Abby Woytus said.

The Winter Formal stands out in many ways compared to Homecoming. For instance, it is in the small gym, which seems like it would be too small, but since the DJ is on the stage, it offers more room for dancing. Also, the Special Events Committee decorates with pillars wrapped in fabric in twinkle lights, allowing for many more photo opportunities.

“The decorations go really well with the theme and are very colorful. The space is perfect for the amount of people that come to the dance,” Junior Jenna Warren said.

This year the Winter Formal has a new faculty member leading the Special Events Committee, Mrs. Gerard. Mrs. Gerard was in charge of this year’s Homecoming for the first time and now is taking on her next big challenge, Catholic Schools Week. This week ends with a night of fun at the Winter Formal.

“Since we have a new Special Events team with different styles and preferences, the planning process and introducing unique elements to this year’s dance changes upon their interests. Special Events is a student-led group, including picking the dance themes and decor,” Gerard said.

An unexpected hurdle for the Special Events Committee has been the unpredictable weather. The weather has been a safety concern for students, and has almost prevented the dance in the past. Not to mention the recent winter weather and e-learning days, which have been frequent since winter break. 

“For the Winter Formal, the most stressful part is the unpredictability of the weather. No one wants a dance to be canceled, and no one wants to be responsible for students driving in unsafe conditions. Luckily, we seem to be in the clear this year, and the weather looks beautiful!” Gerard said. 

As we wrap up Catholic Schools Week, a much needed weekend of fun is the perfect way to end the festivities. Make sure to join us for Winter Formal this Saturday at 7! Remember to bring your dancing shoes!