• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

The Plastics 2.0: A New Mean Girls Adaptation

IMDb.com
Mean Girls debuts in theaters with a hilarious musical adaptation

In 2004, a classic of the century was released into theaters called Mean Girls. This movie would quickly gain success and fame over many years. The movie had notable actors including Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, and Amanda Seyfried. People loved the movie so much because it was humorous, and contained many iconic lines that people still quote today. 

The film was about a girl named Cady Heron, who moves from Africa, and has to adapt to a real school. She meets two friends named Janice and Damien, but starts to hang out with a group of three girls called The Plastics. Everyone in the school fears the plastics, and most of all fears their leader Regina George. Cady hangs out with them only to get inside info on The Plastics. Then, she uses this to tell her friend Janice, who had a falling out with the leader Regina when they were younger. 

Eventually, Cady gets a little too comfortable being a plastic and starts acting like one. She meets a boy named Aaron Samuels in her math class, and immediately falls in love with him. Sadly, this is Regina’s ex-boyfriend, so this causes lots of tension between Cady and Regina throughout the movie. Eventually, she gets caught up in her pride and loses all her friends. Even the whole school hates her. But, Cady quickly turns her life around, and starts hanging out with the two friends who she truly connected with from the start. Cady learns that being hot and popular shouldn’t be the main goal in life, and focuses on her true friends.

In 2017, a stage adaptation of Mean Girls came to Broadway and it was a hit. The production contained numerous catchy songs that left audience members wanting to come back again and again to see it. Regina George was played by two different girls on Broadway, the second being Renee Rapp. The musical left out almost nothing from the movie, and had breathtaking costumes. There were so many scenes in the musical that instead of using multiple sets for each scene, they would use a long screen and projection to make it easier.

Unfortunately, Mean Girls on Broadway closed its curtains for the last time because of Covid. But, this was not the end of Mean Girls because this year, a movie musical adaptation of Mean Girls was released. In this movie, Renee Rapp reprises her role of Regina George, and Ashley Park who played Gretchen, makes a cameo as well. It also brought back Tina Fey from the original movie, who plays Mrs. Norbury.

The movie has already gained lots of fans from the original movie and from the Broadway musical wanting to come see it. The movie also contains actors like Christopher Briney from The Summer I Turned Pretty and Jenna Fischer from The Office. In 2021, a movie adaptation from the Broadway musical Dear Evan Hansen was brought to the big screens. Mean Girls had this same concept to bring a beloved musical to the local theaters. 

All in all, Mean Girls will always be a classic for people to go back and watch. This adaptation is a fresh new take on a movie that is loved by so many people.