• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

Swimming Towards Greatness

@SDHSSwim
Dominic Girls swim team posing after a monuments relay win

St. Dominic is midway through the winter sports season. This includes our beloved girls swim and dive team. They have had quite a season so far, and are looking forward to finishing strong. 

The girls opened up their season in early December with a meet against Westminster and Villa. They then went on to take their first season win over Saint Charles West. This team also set a record recently during the Fort Zumwalt North invite, finishing with 283 points. They took home fourth out of thirteen teams. 

Varsity Head Coach Carly Honerkamp is in her fourth season coaching swimming at St. Dominic. She also has had many years of teaching and coaching swim, and shares her love of the sport with others.

“My favorite part of coaching is watching my athletes improve. It is the best feeling when they have been working toward a goal and it comes to fruition. Especially at a big meet like an invite or conference,” Coach Honerkamp said.

The girls work quite hard to meet their goals considering their tough, and late practice schedule. On weekdays, you’ll find the team practicing from 8-10 PM, Monday through Thursdays, followed by conditioning on Fridays. 

“My goals for the end of the regular season are to work hard in practice and do my best in our conference meets,” Sophomore swimmer Amelia Martin said.

Despite only being a sophomore, Martin has already had quite a year so far, she finishes first in most of her events, including another state run consideration. Last season, Amelia finished 19th at State in the breastroke, as just a freshman. She also swims competitively and finds her love for the sport through the friends, and memories she has made. 

Most recently, the team celebrated senior night on January fourth, with a meet against Liberty High School. The five seniors are all first years on the swim team, and for senior Elise Kehoe it has been a very memorable year so far. 

“This year has been so much fun getting closer to the other seniors. It’s all of our first year swimming and everyone has been so supportive and helpful to all of us,” Kehoe said. 

As the seniors and team as a whole wrap their season up, we can look forward to the post-season coming up in February. Make sure to come out and support the girls in conferences on February third!