• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

Singing Superstars Take On All District Choir

@sdhsperforming
Our St. Dominic singers who made it into district choir

Some of our wonderful choir students auditioned for All District Choir, and nine made it. This is a huge accomplishment, because only the best in the district get picked for this prestigious opportunity.

Back in October, the group practiced nearly every day on their solos, and sight reading, so they may hopefully snag one of the spots. There were judges from all over Missouri who would listen to the singers, with their backs towards them. While listening, they would look over the music, and make sure all of the correct notes were being hit. It was a tall order, but our St. Dominic singers proved their worth, and represented the school well.

“We only had a week, essentially three rehearsals, to learn all six pieces so we can perform in a giant opera hall for a lot of important people,” senior Mia Kate Musick said. 

Rehearsals and sight-reading music aren’t the only things that go into the week. Based on vocal style, you get put into one of two groups: a gender-specific choir, or a mixed chorus. This opens the door to brand new opportunities, and bonds to be made by meeting other powerful singers. You get to branch out, and meet others that have a love for singing. Not to mention, you get to learn from them as well. 

“Here at St. Dominic singers have a bit more of a modern voice, where mine seems to be a bit more traditional. It was just amazing to get an experience to be in a big choir, with people that sounded like I did,” junior Gabby Chiradona said. 

It wasn’t over yet though. The top juniors and seniors got to audition for All State. This is a very competitive spot, because only four from the entire 100, plus All District Choir, can have a spot in this top choir. Gabby got a spot in this highly coveted choir, and Alex Edwards was chosen to be a first alternate. 

“I still can’t believe that I got in the state, because I was worried about getting into districts. Now I am one of four people in the district to go to state; it is just absolutely amazing,” Gabby said. 

That wasn’t it for Gabby though. She was chosen out of all the people at districts to be one of two soloists to sing during their concert. This is a major honor, and everyone was so proud to see her shine. 

“She was the only girl that made it into the top four; the rest of them were guys for this particular solo. The director and the conductor got together and decided they thought her voice fits the best,” Musick said. 

With so much talent bursting from the choir department, the future looks bright. Congratulations to the nine amazing singers who made All District, and a special congratulations to our All State finalists. We can’t wait to hear what you sing next!