• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

Mid-Season Sports Check In

@sdhsathletics on X (Twitter)
The details that lead to the success of fall sports

In the last few years, sports at St. Dominic have immensely grown. District wins, final four appearances, and State Championships, these are just a few of many accomplishments. Fall sports have definitely set the tone for this year. 

Starting with football, the boys came out strong with a a 6-0 record. They have a talented team this year after coming off an appearance in the State Championship last year. Football has been shining under the Friday night lights all season long thanks in part to their prep. Their off-season starts way back in January, which is why they dominate on the field during the season.

“We start our workouts in January, that’s how we prepare for the season. That helps us get off to a hot start in August, our kids are playing all four quarters,” Varsity Head Coach Blake Markway said.

The tennis ladies have also had an exciting season so far. They tied for the conference title, and earned two gold medals. Districts are already starting up for these girls as well. Senior Jadyn Palmer, singles player, is also on her way advancing to the next bracket. 

“Our season is going well, I’m excited to see what’s to come for the upcoming post season games,” Coach Angela Kemp said.

The soccer boys are almost always one of the best sports teams at St. Dominic. This year they’ve seen their ups and downs. But we have also noticed some of the leaders and hard working players that are the reason these boys won’t give up. They have picked it up in the second half of their season. 

“Our seniors have really stepped up this year, I see the team as whole supporting each other always, it’s always someone new every game that chooses to be a leader,” Varsity Soccer Coach Greg Koeller said. 

Cross country took off to a running start this year with the girls team coming out on top in the Sioux Passage meet. Coach Jowers and Coach Joshimsen are new to the program this year and are adding lots of new information. Personal records being accomplished and new coaches being welcomed, have both led to an amazing season. 

It has been really fun to see the growth that was achieved over the summer, and then lead into a great start to the season. At this point, we are halfway done with our regular-season meets, and we have had some exciting personal records set- particularly by our sophomores,” Varsity Assistant Coach Alexandria Holzum said.

Although starting off with a rough patch in their season, the volleyball girls are back at it after defeating Borgia and St Joesph, and a medal finish in the recent Oakville Tournament. The girls recently traveled to Kansas City for the annual Round Robin Tournament. 

“The Kansas City tournament is my favorite part of the season because the girls get to hangout and go to a corn maze together, then we get to play all day Saturday and it’s just such a fun weekend,” Senior Ava Giesman said. 

Softball has gotten the ball rolling with a 16-6 record, and many players stepping up as leaders. Junior pitcher Kelsey Kunz, stepped up alongside senior Victoria Owens, who has filled the gap of catcher this year. The softball program is full of home runs, and is getting ready for the post season. 

“The season is going well so far. We started off kinda off slow but have been paying really well. Kelsey Kunz and Victoria Owen have really stepped up this year,” Varsity Head Coach Noah Duncan said. 

Girls golf just celebrated their senior night, and are on a high coming off of that. They have had huge success this year after defeating Incarnate Word Academy. The team also got first place in the Angle Classic and are improving day after day. They are looking to have a real run in districts.

“My senior season has been very successful and our team has bonded and are as close as ever. Hopefully we can keep this success up for districts,” Senior Elise Kehoe said.

Field hockey is off to a better start than last year recently coming off a huge 4-0 win over Edwardsville. With more experience many players have stepped up including senior captains Mallory Allen and Laney Poropat. With three teams again this year, the team’s skills are rapidly advancing. 

Varsity has finally caught their groove and I am seeing some of the best field hockey played in my four years of being a coach at St. Dominic,” Head Varsity Coach Becky Patterson said.

All eight fall sports have had a very exciting start to their seasons. Each sport is pumped up to get into postseason play and see what their seniors can do for their last season in the Crusader uniform.