Cancelation of Ivy League Spring Sports Season

Ivy League Council of Presidents announced the cancellation of the spring sports season for all Ivy League schools.

Harvard University

As our St. Dominic spring sports season starts, the Ivy League schools go in a different direction. Despite some pressure from numerous wealthy alumni, the Ivy League Council of Presidents announced the cancellation of spring sports for 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic. This decision made it the only league in the NCAA’s Division 1 that will remain “benched” for the totality of the 2020-2021 sports seasons.

“Consistent with its commitment to safeguard the health and wellbeing of student-athletes, the greater campus community and general public, the Ivy League Council of Presidents has decided not to hold league competition or host league championships this spring,” a member from the Council said on the Harvard University website.

The council added that, if public health improves significantly, they might consider some local competitions.

“While acknowledging that the current public health environment is not compatible with a traditional Ivy League season, the Council has also put in place a process that may allow for limited, local competition during the spring if public health conditions improve sufficiently to allow greater levels of in-person activity at Ivy League campuses,” a statement on the Yale website from the council said, regarding the possibility of smaller scale competitions.  

Throughout the pandemic, however, the Ivy League has been extremely quick with cancellations and slow to make any changes on their stances. For example, they were the first to cancel men and women’s basketball tournaments in early March of 2020. This was three whole days before the rest of colleges would stop their sporting activities. This recent decision means Ivy League schools will go more than a year without any sports.

While the Ivy League schools have been on the shelf athletically for the past year, St. Dominic has remained committed to providing sports for their athletes.

“Athletics and activities are a great part of high school.  It’s far more than just the competition, it’s so critical to social interaction and mental health.  I believe that the schools in our area have proven that high school and youth sports can be done safely and with very limited risk.  Our students need to be able to participate in athletics and activities, and they have done a great job of doing so safely all year long.” Mr. Welby said, regarding the continuation of the St. Dominic spring sports season.

While Ivy League schools are doing what they believe is most likely to keep their athletes, students, and coaches safe from COVID-19, the window for these athletes is a narrow one.