Signing Off on Signing Day

Seniors Abby Alford (left), Abby Worster (middle), and Will Nicholson (right) are all signing to colleges February 3, 2021.

Elise Newman

Many of the seniors at St. Dominic are choosing and preparing for college, however, for some of our athletes, colleges chose them. Colleges have been scouting out certain athletes since some of them were freshman, and now those athletes are committing to those schools on signing day. Signing day is a tradition where the St. Dominic community recognizes these seniors and congratulates them on the accomplishment of officially signing to a team while surrounded by friends and family.

Seniors Will Nicholson, Abigail Alvord, and Abigail Worster will all be officially signing to colleges on February 3rd. This means that they are committing to colleges where they will be playing sports for there college career.

Will Nicholson

Will Nicholson is committing to Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois for soccer. This was a difficult decision for him as he had to decide between Bradley University and Lafayette College. However, despite the difficult decision, he is very excited for this new chapter in his life.

“I am very excited for my future at this school. I hope that I can start in goal at Bradley by my freshman or sophomore year and I plan on majoring in Actuarial Science or Finance. I am a little nervous that I don’t know anyone going to the school but I think it will be fine since I will be hanging around the soccer team a majority of the time,” Nicholson said.

No matter what ends up happening, we know that Nicholson will be successful as he has worked so hard to get to this point in his life.

Abigail Alvord

Abigail Alvord has been in contact with Greenville University in Greenville, Illinois for some time, but will now officially commit to play soccer for the school. Greenville has been in contact with Alvord for a few years now and their personal approach made Alvord feel at home.

“They were one of the first schools to contact me in a personal way. Coaches attended multiple games and followed up with me afterwards to just talk casually. They made me feel like they truly wanted me. I met the girls when I was on campus and they still text me and check in on my process of applying,” Alvord said.

With the college countdown occurring, it’s easy to get lost in the madness, but since Alvord has already made friends with some of the girls on the team, she’s hoping the transition is easier.

Alvord has high hopes for the future at this school and is so excited to be signing with Greenville University this week.

Abigail Worster

Abigail Worster will be continuing her tennis success at Truman University in Kirksville, Missouri. Worster’s decision was made easy as she narrowed it down to in-state schools that were division two or division three. Truman seemed to be the perfect option that fit all of her criteria and Worster is optimistic for what’s yet to come.

“I think that I’ll have a lot of fun playing the sport I grew up with and love. I’m a little skeptical on finding my purpose in life but I think I will find what I’m looking for in Truman,” Worster said.

No matter what the future holds for these three athletes, their futures are bright as they prepare for the next chapter in their lives. Congratulations to Will Nicholson, Abigail Alvord, and Abigail Worster! Your St. Dominic community wishes you the best of luck moving forward.