A Night of the Highest Honors

Senior+Emily+Lieurance+receives+a+pin+from+Mrs.+Stewart+and+Mr.+Welby+after+being+inducted+into+NHS.+

Mr. Moore

Senior Emily Lieurance receives a pin from Mrs. Stewart and Mr. Welby after being inducted into NHS.

This past Monday, over 50 juniors and seniors were inducted into the National Honor Society (NHS). Although it looked slightly different from years before, it was still a successful ceremony celebrating St. Dominic’s most esteemed students.

The induction ceremony took place in the Performing Arts Center on  Monday, November 16. Only the inductees, their parents, current NNS officers, and selected faculty were allowed to attend due to the limited capacity. Everyone was spread out and wearing masks, to ensure the safety of all attendees. There were two students who were quarantined, but they were still able to be present on a Zoom call.

“The induction ceremony is a great opportunity to celebrate our students and all that they’ve achieved,” NHS moderator Mrs. Goins said.

The event was mainly led by current NHS seniors Joe Hogan and Kallie Nero. They talked about the four pillars of the National Honor Society: scholarship, leadership, service and character—lighting a candle for each value.

After the candle lighting, the inductees went up to receive their special NHS pins from Mrs. Stewart and Mr. Welby. They then recited a pledge, officially committing them into the society.

There was also a guest speaker, Mr. Tom Lang, graduate class of 2014. He spoke about how the formation of the four pillars throughout his time in NHS shaped his future for the better.

“Mr. Lang’s speech really stuck with me. It was interesting to see the effects NHS has on graduates. I’m inspired to really take this seriously and serve my community,” junior inductee Liv Knobbe said.

Though the new inductees celebrated Monday night, it took a lot of hard work to get there. Applications were submitted in August and chosen by a board of teachers and faculty based on each students’ leadership, academic success and service in their communities. Finally, these juniors and seniors were able to have an official celebration of their accomplishments.

Overall, the ceremony went off without a hitch, even with a pandemic going on. We’re excited to see how the new NHS members serve our school community!