Paige’s Letter

Paige’s Letter

Dear Crusader Nation News,

I’ve always had a knack for writing, but right now, I have to admit, I’m at a loss for words. How does one sum up the past four years of their life in just a short, little letter? It feels like two weeks ago, I was sitting in class on my first day of freshman year, worrying about getting lost on my way to second period. Now, in just two weeks, I’ll be graduating high school and heading out into the real world.

It seems so hard to believe that something I looked forward to for so long is nearly over already. I remember as a kid I would watch movies of high schoolers and wonder when it would be my turn. My turn to get my driver’s license. My turn to go to Friday night football games. My turn to attend prom. It wasn’t until years later that I learned Hollywood had lied to me.

High school is so much worse than the movies. High school is messy breakups and gossiping classmates. It’s stressing about exams and constantly worrying about how you look. It’s smudged mascara and not knowing where you belong or who you’re going to sit with at lunch. High school is late nights and early mornings and four years that seem to stretch on until eternity.

High school is so much better than the movies. High school is new friendships, new passions, new experiences. It’s laughing so hard your stomach aches and smiling until your cheeks are sore. It’s you and your friends screaming all the words to your favorite song as you drive with the windows rolled down. It’s earning an A after hours of studying and winning your game after weeks of practice. High school is stepping outside of your comfort zone and surprising yourself with just how capable you are.

In the end, high school is what you make of it. It’s a time of change and uncertainty, and there’s going to be plenty of ups and downs along the way. But I’ve learned that’s okay; it just means you’re growing. So embrace change. Say yes to new adventures and try not to take everything so seriously. Put in the work so you can be proud of your accomplishments, but don’t forget to have some fun along the way. It will all be over before you know it.

That the one thing movies get right about high school: just how quickly time flies. I’ve done a lot of growing myself these past four years, and I know a lot of it is thanks to journalism. This class has given me an outlet to express myself and give back to this community that’s done so much for me. I know I’ll miss St. Dominic, especially all the lovely people I’ve gotten to know, but I’m grateful for the time I got to be here. Each opportunity and every setback taught me more about myself and prepared me for the next step in my journey.

I don’t know what the future has in store for me and the rest of Crusader Nation News, but I can’t wait to see where this next chapter will take us!

With Love,

Senior Copy Editor,

Paige Hunt