Joey’s Letter

Joeys+Letter

Crusader Nation News, 

What a ride it has been. The past three years in the Journalism program have been nothing short of fun and entertaining. Honestly, I don’t know what I am going to do without anything journalism related in college because it has been a part of my life for so long now. However, I am excited to see what the future holds. 

As far as highschool goes, nobody has an easy route. Between gossip taking over people’s lives, and trying to manage your time efficiently, it can be hard to sit back and relax. Many times I feel like I didn’t have enough time in high school to appreciate what was going on right in front of me. I always had to rush to sports or another extracurricular. However, I am grateful for having such a busy and jam-packed schedule because it taught me how to finish my work in a timely manner and gauge how prepared I needed to be for the class the next day. 

What does this have to do with Journalism? Just about everything. Journalism was the one class throughout my high school experience that was consistent and relaxing. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes there would be busy days where something was due. However, it was just such a relaxing environment that almost allowed me to flourish better than any other classroom I have ever been a part of. There wasn’t a day that I didn’t have fun in that class and laugh. It is such a light hearted yet professional program which is why I think it has so much success and development.

While I am excited to move on to the next four years, I can’t help but have a bittersweet feeling about leaving St. Dominic. However, the main reason I have that bittersweet feeling is because of the Crusader Nation News. It is filled with some of the best and driven people I have ever met, and Mr. Duncan as a teacher has a way of making every single student feel like family; even if you aren’t in his class. This is truly going to be a feeling that I long for in college, but knowing St. Dominic, the class of 2023 will always be able to call it home. 

Therefore, I would like to wish those of you incoming to the Journalism program the best of luck. Make sure to put yourself out there and always be yourself. If there is any regret you will ever have, don’t let it be not doing something to your full potential. Write that article, publish a blog, take a leadership position. Make every second of your short four years at St. Dominic worth it. Because as you walk across that stage, the first day of freshman year will seem like it was yesterday. 

With love, 

Josephine Berra, Editor in Chief