The Houses Fight for Senior Night

The hockey team celebrated their seniors this past weekend with many fans from the house system who helped cheer them on!

Grant Merritt

The Rec Plex was the place to be last Sunday as the Crusader ice hockey team took to the rink against Parkway West. This night was filled with fun as it was the program’s first senior night and a House attendance competition.

It’s awesome to be part of my high school’s history and I’ve always wanted to play hockey, so it all came together

— Grant Merritt

The hockey team had their first ever Senior Night in St. Dominic history this past weekend. It was a night to remember especially for seniors, Grant Merritt, Connor Blasingame and Cody Snyder. The team tied 2-2 against Parkway West, and even though they didn’t win, it was a fun game to be a part of.

“It’s awesome to be part of my high school’s history and I’ve always wanted to play hockey, so it all came together. It’s something I’ll always remember and I can’t thank my teammates enough for the amazing season we are having,” Merritt said.

The atmosphere was full of emotion as both teams were very evenly matched. There was also a House attendance competition where students were encouraged to go to the game and earn points for their House. Points were awarded to the top three houses who had the most students in attendance.

House Gaudium came in third place earning 15 points, House Digitas came in second with 20 points and House Virtus came in first earning 25 points! This helped Dignitas take first place in the overall leaderboard with Gaudium sitting only five points behind them. With Virtus taking the win in this competition, it helped them close the point gap from being in last place and even propelled them into fifth place!

“As most of the school knows, Virtus has been in last place pretty much the whole year even after all of our hard work. I wasn’t expecting that many Virtus members to attend the hockey game, but fortunately there were plenty of us supporting our hockey team. Everyone stayed the entire game which gave us even more points! We’re getting out of the slump and Virtus is ready to climb our way to the top for the rest of the year!” said Virtus HOH Alli Herbert.

The second semester is off to a great start with the hockey team celebrating their seniors and continuing an amazing inaugural season. The House System is also starting the year off strong by already having a competition in the first week back. Make sure to keep up with all the events happening in the house system and make it out to a hockey game as the season will be ending soon. It’s something you won’t want to miss!