• The waits over: the 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs have arrived

Stanley Cup Playoff Recap

• Finals are right around the corner, make sure you study

How To Make The Most of Reading Day

• Many called Zendaya the best dressed at the 2024 Met Gala

Met Gala’s Gorgeous Garden of Time

• St. Dominic teachers prepare for summer as 2023-2024 year ends

Features

Cool for the Summer

• Newest drinks at St. Dominic: The Topo Chico Sabores drinks

Features

New Drinks and Prices in the Cafeteria

Celebrate St. Dominic Day

Features

• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

Sliding out of Season

@sdhsathletics on X
St. Dominic Varsity Ice Hockey celebrates after an amazing season

The St. Dominic Varsity Hockey team has closed out their 2023-2024 regular, and post-season with a 13-2-8 record. The boys had a season to remember, and one that seniors will cherish. They came out on top of their conference as well. 

The team had some ups and downs, but in the end they did what they needed to do and accomplished many things. They won the St. Charles Conference by beating their rival, Fort Zumwalt West, 3-0. This was the highlight of the season because in the previous matchup, Dominic lost 1-5. That was a turning point for them. They then put their heads down, and really brought it in the next match, which led them to their win. West has always been a physical and hard team to beat, but Dominic pulled through to get the win and prove that they are on top. 

“I would say the highlight for the majority of the guys is winning our conference by beating our rival Fort Zumwalt West 3-0. This was a hard fought win, but worth every second,” Junior Jackson Meyer said. 

One athlete in particular had an outstanding year, and it was senior Jared Penning. He had finished out the season with 26 goals, 13 assists, two hat tricks, and four game winning goals. Even last year, Penning led the team in overall points. He definitely took on the senior role to lead his team to the outcome they had. Coming in second for points, is junior Owen Maire. He left the season with 13 goals, seven assists, and three game winning goals. These two were a dynamic duo for the success of the team, and there will be more to come with Maire, as he still has one more year left with the squad. 

“Overall, we had a really good year with a lot of guys playing big roles, and having good individual years,” Meyer said. 

The boys competed in many exciting and nail biting games. Such as their first game of the season, Fort Zumwalt North game, which was a 9-1 blow out. Another game that turned heads was the Duchesne game, which had an ending score of 10-3. One close game that was high intensity, was the Fort Zumwalt East game that had an ending score of 3-2 Dominic. This game had everyone on the edge of their seats. Throughout the whole season, the boys really showed up and showed out. They kept a consistent wave of wins and losses, and never went over more than    two losses in a row. They made each game worth the while, and gave the audience some adrenaline. 

“It was fun to watch the boys hockey team play, and I always enjoyed the environment and how good they were,” Junior Keeley Skiljan said. 

Overall the team showed many strides and proved to everyone that they are a force to be reckoned with. They have set the tone for the future team, and show a lot of promise in the coming years. Make sure to keep an eye out from this team next year in the 2024-2025 season!