The student news site of St. Dominic High School

Crusader Nation

• Messi will have to decide: Copa America or the Olympics?

Sports

Messi’s Big Decision

• February 28, 2024

Broadcast

February 28, 2024

• USA hockey team unexpectedly beats USSR in 1980 Winter Olympics

Sports

44th Anniversary of USA hockey’s Miracle on ice

• SDHS celebrates the three Lenten Pillars: almsgiving, fasting, and prayer

Features

Our Lenten Journey

• Ruby Franke and Jodi Hildebrandt at their February 20th hearing

News

YouTube Mom Ruby Franke and Counselor Jodi Hildebrandt Sentenced in Court

•  Boys Volleyball have had tremendous success the past two seasons

Sports

Spring Sports Preview: Boys Volleyball

• Coach Jowers ready to tackle the excitement of freshman soccer!

Sports

New Freshman Girls Soccer Coach

• SDHS Baseball ready for redemption after disappointing end in 2023

Showcase

A Look Into the Upcoming Baseball Season

• NHL players make their long awaited return to the Olympics

Sports

A Return To The Games

• The Odysseus lunar lander successfully reached the moon on Thursday

News

Odysseus Moon Mission Makes History

Crusader Nation

Crusader Nation

Celebrating Diversity: Black History Month

Tpr.org
St. Dominic celebrates Black History Month the month of February

The month of February is dedicated Black History Month. This was created to honor all African Americas from the different periods of U.S. history. Black History Month was once only a week-long event, but eventually became its own month, by President Gerald Ford, in. This month is an amazing opportunity to commemorate the legacy of African Americans in the U.S. 

Black History Month takes place during the birthdays of Frederick Douglas and President Abraham Lincoln, two very important public figures. This month encourages those to fight for social justice and equality. Every year, there is a theme for Black History Month, and this year’s theme is “African Americans and the Arts.” It is about the visual and performing arts, film, music, and many different forms of cultural expression for African Americans. 

Rosa Parks is such a notable figure when it comes to equal rights. Her story is a well known one that almost everyone has heard at least once in their life. In 1955, African Americans were forced to sit in the back of the bus. Rosa Parks stood up for what she believed in, and stayed in her seat up in the front. Soon after this, she was arrested for not abiding by the laws. 

Although Rosa Parks has a very well known story, others do not. For example, a woman named Claudette Colvin, who was only fifteen years old at the time, also refused to give up her seat in the middle. She was arrested and was the first woman detained for standing up for what she believed in. 

In 1960, Ruby Bridges was the first African American student to attend William Frantz Elementary School. After this, she started a chain reaction inspiring other children to do the same. Benjamin O. Davis became the first African American general in the U.S. Army. He is notarized for his service of 50 years, and even served as a lieutenant in the Spanish American War. 

There are so many notable figures that are commemorated during Black History Month. One man in particular, Martin Luther King Jr., inspired thousands. Martin Luther King Jr. is known for his famous I Have a Dream speech. In this speech, he talks about America’s history of racial inequality, and encourages those to live by America’s promises of freedom, equality, and justice. This speech gave hope to so many, and has still left a lasting impact on the world today. 

Some ways people can celebrate Black History Month are to learn the important history, read African American authors, celebrate literature, support their media, and even attend a local event. This special month is truly meant to bring awareness of the fight for freedom, and to honor the accomplishments of African Americans throughout the history of this country.