The student news site of St. Dominic High School

Crusader Nation

• Messi will have to decide: Copa America or the Olympics?

Sports

Messi’s Big Decision

• February 28, 2024

Broadcast

February 28, 2024

• USA hockey team unexpectedly beats USSR in 1980 Winter Olympics

Sports

44th Anniversary of USA hockey’s Miracle on ice

• SDHS celebrates the three Lenten Pillars: almsgiving, fasting, and prayer

Features

Our Lenten Journey

• Ruby Franke and Jodi Hildebrandt at their February 20th hearing

News

YouTube Mom Ruby Franke and Counselor Jodi Hildebrandt Sentenced in Court

•  Boys Volleyball have had tremendous success the past two seasons

Sports

Spring Sports Preview: Boys Volleyball

• Coach Jowers ready to tackle the excitement of freshman soccer!

Sports

New Freshman Girls Soccer Coach

• SDHS Baseball ready for redemption after disappointing end in 2023

Showcase

A Look Into the Upcoming Baseball Season

• NHL players make their long awaited return to the Olympics

Sports

A Return To The Games

• The Odysseus lunar lander successfully reached the moon on Thursday

News

Odysseus Moon Mission Makes History

Crusader Nation

Crusader Nation

Super Bowl Sunday Matchup

Chiefswire.com
SF and KC will duel in the highly anticipated SB

The month of February brings us one of the biggest sports events ever, the Super Bowl. On February 11th, the last game of the 2023 National Football League season will be played. The San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs, will be represented at the 58th Annual Super Bowl. 

Entertainment Sports Programming Network (ESPN), recently polled 60 experts over the big day. 49 of the 60 predicted that the Chiefs will win the game. Along with this, they favored Patrick Mahomes as the Most Valuable Player (MVP). For Mahomes, this would make for his third MVP in his last six seasons as a starter. He also has a record of 14-3 in playoff wins in such a short amount of time.

“Mahomes is the GOAT of quarterbacks and he will lead the Chiefs for back to back Super Bowl wins,” Junior Jake Reid said. 

As for the 49ers quarterback, Brock Purdy, this is only his second season as a starter. Despite his young age, Purdy has a drive to win, and will also be a candidate for Super Bowl’s 58th MVP. Some other key players for this talented team include running back Christian McCaffery, and tackle Trent Williams. McCaffery holds the second highest receptions, and has scored a touchdown for his team every game. Williams has been named the number one ranked offensive lineman over the last three seasons. 

“I think that the 49ers will win this year’s Super Bowl because Christian McCaffery is so good that not even the Chiefs can stop him,” Junior Brytn Lyon said. 

Although the 49ers have some great assets to their team, the KC Chiefs are in their golden years, and are currently the reigning Super Bowl Champs, they haven’t been able to be stopped. Tight End Travis Kelce, has had a great season, and has led his team along with Mahomes the past couple of years. He has caught a total of 110 passes, and made 12 touchdowns. Defensive Lineman Chris Jones, is another key player, he currently leads all interior lineman in sacks, with a total of fifteen.

The matchup of coaches for these two competitive teams is quite different, and unique. Kyle Shanahan is the head coach for the 49ers. He has been with SF for seven seasons, and has led them to win three division titles. Andy Reid, has been the head coach for the Chiefs for 11 seasons, he has 15 playoff wins with them. Previously, Andy coached for the Philadelphia Eagles, and is currently the oldest coach in the NFL, at the age of 65. 

As for the fans, the average Super Bowl ticket cost around $8,600. Although extremely expensive, it might be well worth it, considering they get to watch one of the most popular, competitive, and highly rated games. Along with this, you get to experience the amazing halftime show, which will be performed by pop artist Usher this year. 

Whether you watch the event for the commercials or halftime show, this year’s game should be quite entertaining, considering the highly talented matchup. Make sure to tune in this coming Sunday at five pm central time to witness the champion of the Super Bowl LVIII Vince Lombardi Trophy.