• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

Pro Volleyball Makes a Presence

@realprovb on Instagram
The first ever American pro volleyball match was highly anticipated

On January 24th, 2024, history was made in Omaha Nebraska. It was the first ever Pro-Volleyball Federations inaugural match, in the US. This event is very exciting, not only for women’s volleyball, but all women’s sports. It has given volleyball a name, and a bigger spotlight held upon the sport. This is the start to bigger, and better things to come in the future. 

“I cannot wait to watch a game in person this year! It is crazy to think that there were over eleven thousand people watching that first game,” Junior Mandy Lawson said. 

This first ever professional volleyball match in the US had a massive turn out. It was held in the CHI Health Center, and the stands consisted of 11,624 people. The attendance was the largest in US history for professional volleyball, beating the past record of 10,000 plus, and this was at the 2016 Olympic qualifier. The two teams that faced off were the Atlanta Vibe and Omaha Supernovas. It was a five set match with Vibe pulling through in the end to take the win in the first ever PVF match. This match set the tone for the next games. There have already been three matches played so far, and more to come. Throughout those first three games, the attendance has reached over 25,000 people. 

“I was so excited to hear that there was going to be a Pro League, and I know that women’s sports is overlooked at times, and to see all the support and unity in it makes me happy,” Junior Cami Kohmetscher said. 

Being a woman in sports is not an easy thing. Women do not get the same amount of views or opportunities as men. This new league is not just about volleyball, but about the start of something for all women to look at as an opportunity. The League has given these athletes a platform that they can use to influence other young girls that it is possible to overcome adversity, and have the same opportunities that men do. Tori Dilfer, is one athlete that can be seen as an influencer to younger girls. She is a setter for the Atlanta Vibe, and she has spoken about how long she has waited for this day, and how grateful she is to be able to play in this league. Her words carry and leave an imprint on those around her. 

“Gratitude for a God that hears us and cares about the cares of our hearts. A God that revives. A God that always follows through, and finishes the work He starts. A God that knew this day would come long before we even dared to dream about it,” Dilfer said, on an Instagram post. 

Stepping away from professional volleyball, there was another history-making event that happened this past year, in 2023. It was the Division One National Championship for Volleyball. This Championship game averaged 1.7 million viewers, and hit a high of 2.1 million viewers. It was also streamed on ABC for the first time ever. This National Championship alone was record breaking. Going back to the beginning of the college season, there was yet another ground breaking record. This was the Nebraska volleyball team having a tournament in their very own football stadium. They broke the attendance record for most people to watch a women’s sporting event in the US, that number was 92,003 people. This event was another milestone for volleyball and women. 

“To see how much growth has occurred for women’s volleyball in the last year is crazy. Volleyball usually is overlooked, and not taken seriously but now it is different,” Kohmetscher said. 

The Professional Volleyball Federations next game is on Wednesday February 7th at 8pm EST. The match will be the Vegas Thrill versus the Omaha Supernovas. This can be streamed on YouTube. Be sure to tune in and watch these two stellar teams face off.