• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

Michigan Football Caps Off A Perfect Season

@MichiganFootball on Instagram
The Michigan Wolverines end their season with a national title

The College football playoffs have been exciting this year. Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Alabama were the top four who competed for the title. The Michigan Wolverines pulled through to take the title, ending their perfect year with a 15-0 record. Michigan quarterback J.J McCarthy, led the team to victory through precise passes, and continuous team support. 

The number one playoff seed Michigan, and number four Alabama, went head to head in the Rose Bowl. It went to an exciting overtime, and Bama came close in the end, but unfortunately could not get past the Wolverines defense to score. This resulted in Michigan winning 27-20 over Alabama. The number two ranked team Washington, defeated the number three ranked Texas, in the Sugar Bowl to clinch a spot in the championship game. The final score was 37-31, with the Washington Huskies remaining undefeated and heading to the championship game. 

“The game was so crazy. Such a good match up and I was anxious the whole time. I was really hoping Michigan would win, and when they did I was so happy. I was also so excited to see Washington and Michigan play in the final game,” Junior Mandy Lawson said. 

Junior starting quarterback JJ MacCarthy, had a huge role in the team’s success. He not only has the athletic ability, but he shows textbook leadership. He led his team to an undefeated season and to put a cherry on top, winning a National Championship. McCarthy and Head Coach Jim Harbaugh had a very close relationship. Harbaugh thinks very highly of his quarterback and wants him to be the best he can be. With that being said, McCarthy is a candidate to be in the early first round pick for the NFL Draft. He still has yet to announce what his next steps are for next year, but he has all the support around him to accomplish his goals. 

“McCarthy is ‘the greatest quarterback’ in program history,” Harbaugh said, according to USA Today. 

McCarthy’s response to this comment was humble, and shows just how close he and Harbaugh really are.  

“I get a little uncomfortable with every compliment I get, that’s just the personality I have. I’m just tremendously grateful for him to be my head coach. Obviously, all the great words he says about me means a lot, and it’s a blessing to play for him,” McCarhty said, according to USA Today. 

Despite being a successful coach, Head Michigan Coach Jim Harbaugh was accused of stealing signs from teams, and the NCAA opened an investigation earlier in the season. Coach Harbaugh was suspended by the Big Ten for the last three games of the regular season. However, the day before the court hearing, the conference deemed there was no involvement in the allegations. Michigan came over this adversity, and did not let it stop them from being champions. They stood strong and trusted in their coach. The Wolverines did not let off the field drama affect their play. 

“Off the field issues? We’re innocent, we stood strong and tall because we knew we’re innocent,” Coach Harbaugh said, according to bleacherreport.com. 

The Michigan Wolverines defeated the Washington Huskies 34-13 in the championship. The Wolverines got an early lead by outscoring the Huskies 14-3 in the first half. Washington got it within seven in the second quarter, after the touchdown by Jalen McMillian. However, that was not enough. Blake Corum scored two running touchdowns in the fourth quarter, to seal the deal for Michigan. The Wolverine offense was too much for the Huskie defense, leading Michigan to its twelfth National Championship since 1998. Michigan Coach Jim Harbaugh, celebrated with his whole team after having an incredible undefeated season. 

“Michigan jumped out to a quick lead and didn’t look back, never trailing in the title game at NRG stadium in Houston to capture its 12th National Championship in program history,” USAtoday.com said. 

The College 2023-2024 season has come to an end, but it was an incredible year for football. With some upsets, and underdog teams coming out of nowhere, this upcoming 2024-2025 season will be without a doubt interesting. Some colleges will unfortunately be losing key roles to their teams due to the NFL Draft, or graduating seniors, but should not stop them from rebuilding and coming into this next season strong!