• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

‘Tis The Holiday Stress Season

End of first semester final exams cause stress for students
Google

With Christmas break coming up, the final preparation for first semester grades comes to a close. Crusader students of all grade levels fill their schedules with studying, and stress. Final exams can be stressful, but there are many ways to be successful with studying and reach your goals. 

Here are some studying tips from other Crusaders to help you prepare for what’s to come: 

Take advantage of reading day!

We are so lucky to have opportunities at St. Dominic like reading day, where our loving teachers dedicate time to answer questions. Make a list of questions for each class, and ask your teachers. Don’t be afraid to ask teachers what they plan on doing for reading day. Some teachers review all information, and some only answer specific questions. This allows students to have extra review and feel confident on the information that the test will include. If you don’t have any specific questions, you can always work on study guides, in a quiet space or with a group of friends. This day is not like any other school day, meaning you are allowed to come and go for classes. Take advantage of reading day!

One class at a time

Having eight finals can be stressful to wrap your head around, but you will only have up to three a day. Focus on your classes in the order they come. For example, study for B1 first, because that will be the first final you take. Try to organize the things you already know over things that you struggle with. Making a list to separate the strengths and weaknesses of information you know can make the studying process be more efficient. 

Start now

It is never too early to start studying for finals. Try to work on the study guides your teachers give you so you can immediately begin studying the material on the study guide. 

Make sure you give yourself enough time to start studying. Do study guides at least a week before, so you know what areas you need to focus on the most,” senior Kiley Willmann said. 

You can never be too prepared! Using resources such as Quizlet, Kahoot, or paper flashcards and studying them over these next few weeks, will help ingrain the information in your head. It is a lot to study for eight subjects, so starting earlier can help. Starting the studying process as soon as you can will limit the stress of cramming all information the night before. 

Lock in 

Even though this may be new to some, trying to focus on exams is not always easy. Try to separate yourself from your crazy life, starting with ten minutes per subject a night. Move to a quiet space without your phone, and try your best to focus on that specific subject for that time. 

My best study tip would be to put your phone in the other room and set a timer for a certain time and just study for that whole time, then take a short break,” senior Olivia Wright said. 

Using a timer can be helpful and allow you to keep track of your studies. If you are someone who struggles with focusing in busy environments, try to study somewhere new, like the library, a café, or even Panera. Limit who you are with, so you actually get the work done. Don’t study with someone who will distract you. Once you lock in for these finals, you will be able to obtain the information you need, take the test like a champ, and peacefully enjoy your Christmas break, knowing that you dominated finals to the best of your ability. 

It’s just a test

With all of the stress that comes with school, it is important to remind yourself that it is just a test!

I wish I knew that finals are not as hard as you think they are; you just have to make sure you prepare yourself,” sophomore Bella Wright said. 

Your self-worth should not be measured by the success of your finals. Know that trying your best is more than enough, and that mental health comes first. Do your best with studying and try to take one test at a time. 

With that being said, we wish you all the best of luck on your finals!