The student news site of St. Dominic High School

Crusader Nation

• May 2, 2024

Broadcast

May 2, 2024

• This Thursday at St. Dominic is the annual Crusader Day!

Showcase

Celebrate St. Dominic

• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

Entertainment

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• St. Dominic prom will be hosted at Old Hickory tomorrow

Showcase

Once Upon A Prom

• Lily’s Letter

A Letter From the Editor

Lily’s Letter

• Noahs Letter

A Letter From the Editor

Noah’s Letter

• Alyssas Letter

A Letter From the Editor

Alyssa’s Letter

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Sports

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

• April 18, 2024

Broadcast

April 18, 2024

• Evan Luke posing for his Senior year high school photos

Players to Watch

Player to Watch: Evan Luke

Crusader Nation

Crusader Nation

Coco Mania Sweeps Over the U.S.

Angela Weiss
Coco Gauff raises her first of hopefully many slam trophies

This past weekend, tennis phenom Coco Gauff made her way to the US Open final, where she defeated new world number one, Aryna Sabalenka to win the championship. Gauff is the first American teenager to win the US Open since Serena Williams did it back in 1999. Gauff, who has been on the scene for four years now, has been perhaps the most famous prodigy in tennis, so seeing her raise the trophy is a sign to many that now is her time.

Gauff, who triumphed in front of the rowdy Arthur Ashe Stadium, provided the US Open with one of the most watched runs in quite some time. Her speedy feet and lightning fast backhands provided her the keys to unlock seven wins across the two weeks. 

From the get go, Coco had all the hype surrounding her as she entered into the Open as the hottest player on tour. It only escalated when her first round match with German player, Laura Siegmund, received lots of attention for the delaying tactics from the German. Coco however, was able to overcome it, and win in a close three setter. Coco cruised through her second round match, but it took a valiant effort in her third and fourth round matches to win both three setters.

As Coco went into the quarterfinals, her run had caught the attention of many and lots of celebrities were out to watch her matches. An easy win in the quarters meant that Coco had reached the final four, where she defeated Czech star, Karolina Muchova in a very tight straight set match. Gauff had reached her second grand slam final where she would be facing the new world number one, Sabalenka. 

On Saturday afternoon in a full capacity crowd, Coco Gauff won her first grand slam title as she won in comeback fashion winning 2-6 6-3 6-2. Many, even the ESPN commentators got emotional as Coco celebrated with her family and when she cried on court in disbelief. After a few minutes, Gauff went to her bench and knelt down in prayer as she thanked God for all of the blessings he had given her. 

In an interview with the Today Show, Gauff talked about how she often prays before matches not that she will win, but that God will grant her the strength to perform to the best of her abilities. 

With her landmark win, Coco became the fourth American woman and fourth African American woman to win the US Open, in the 21st century, joining the likes of Venus Williams (2000, 2001), Serena Williams (2002, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014), and Sloane Stephens (2017). Many have proclaimed that Coco is “The next Serena”, but it would be inaccurate to say that as she is not the next Serena, she is the first Coco.