Living out the Dominican Way

2022 Dominican Way recipients waiting to see which teacher nominated them!

SDHS Twitter

The second annual Dominican Way Award Ceremony last night was a huge success! The Dominican Way award is given to students who represent the four pillars of St. Dominic: Prayer, Study, Service and Community.

I was so honored to be chosen

— Harland Bross

St. Dominic Principal Mrs. Stacey Stewart came to President Mr. Jim Welby last year with the idea to recognize outstanding students. Mrs. Stewart shared that at her old school, they did a ceremony similar to the Dominican Way nominations. They both agreed that student recognition is extremely important and necessary for the growth of our St. Dominic community.

“This is a highlight for me personally because the teachers and staff get to pick a student who represents the four pillars who may not have realized they have been,” Mrs. Stewart said.

Teachers and staff anonymously pick a student and at the ceremony the student finds out which teacher picked them. The best part is that the students have no idea what the criteria to receive the award is. Unlike other awards where students may be required to fill out an application, the Dominican Way award is given to students who are just being themselves.

“I think the Dominican Way is an amazing way to acknowledge our students who are just genuinely good kids,” English teacher Mrs. Goins said.

Last year, 64 students were nominated, but there were around 70 students chosen for the award this year. The selected students were awarded a Dominican Way medal and a certificate stating the teacher who picked them and the reasons why they were chosen.

“As soon as Mr. Hennekes was walking up, and they said my name, I was like, ‘Wow, this is crazy.’ I was so honored to be chosen,” Dominican Way recipient senior Harland Bross said.

The Dominican Way award is an amazing opportunity to recognize students who excel in the four pillars of St. Dominic. This award is not based on athletics or academics, it is based on the hearts and energy of St. Dominic students. Congrats to all of the nominees!