Mrs. Savant’s Send Off

Abby Obert

Mrs. Savant continues to share her intelligence with chemistry students.

As the school year comes to an end, many teachers will be moving on to the next chapter of their life for the 2021-2022 school year. While several teachers are transferring schools, Mrs. Savant is going a different route and has decided to retire.

St. Dominic has been a home away from home for soon-to-be-retiree Mrs. Savant. She has taught for 13 years, with 10 of those years spent at St. Dominic. Our high school has not only impacted Mrs. Savant, but her family, too, since both of her daughters graduated from St. Dominic years ago.

While Mrs. Savant is sad to be leaving, she is excited to see what the future holds. One of the things she is looking forward to most is not having to go to school on mornings when it is nice outside. She loves spring and fall mornings, so now she will be able to enjoy them more instead of rushing off to school.

“I love the mornings because they are so peaceful with the birds and sky. It is when I feel closest to God,” Savant said.

Mrs. Savant is also planning to take on a few hobbies. She loves to garden and swim and is looking forward to trying out new skills as well. One of her many talents is archery. Mrs. Savant was archery certified a long time ago and is excited to revisit those techniques.

“I might start doing it competitively and win myself a few medals,” Savant said excitedly.

Despite all she has to look forward to, Mrs. Savant feels bittersweet about her last few weeks at St. Dominic because her colleagues and students have impacted her immensely.

“Every year it seems I adopt all of my kids from my classes, and I worry about them as if they were truly my own kids,” Savant said.

Mrs. Savant does not think she will be retired for very long—since she likes to stay busy— but her teaching days are over. If she does take on another job, she knows it will be another adventure.

St. Dominic will always be a home for Mrs. Savant, and her time here has been celebrated by her students and coworkers in so many ways. Although Mrs. Savant will be dearly missed, she will always hold a special place in our heart because, “Once a Crusader, Always a Crusader.”