Second Semester Slump

Students+are+kicking+the+second+semester+slump+to+the+curb+

label for reuse

Students are kicking the second semester slump to the curb

The second semester can be a particularly rough time of the school year for all grade levels. The dreary January, February and March months are full of uneventful and sunless days. With all that known, one question remains: how do students push through?

The slump affects all grade levels and ages in different ways. Freshman are ready to step out of their comfort zones going into sophomore year, and seniors experience nervousness and anticipation awaiting college. Most juniors are stressing out about ACT testing and college applications while sophomores are bored and finally ready to be considered upperclassmen.

Freshmen Carter Sommerkamp and Grace Alkire are probably the least affected by the second semester slump compared to other ages. Besides occasionally procrastinating, the freshman have it pretty easy (depending on the classes they are taking, of course).

“School is almost over, and summer is coming up soon, so I need to make sure my grades stay up so that I can be ready with good grades for final exams. I would recommend others keep their grades up too. It will be over soon!” Alkire said.

“I am nervous and excited for next school year…but more excited because I am going to experience more interesting, fun and challenging classes,” Sommerkamp said.

All in all, freshman are under the least stress, but they couldn’t be more excited for what the rest of high school will bring them.
Juniors Riley McAteer and Bryce Little are almost 75 percent of the way done with their high school careers and can’t wait for their last year of high school. The two juniors have some words of wisdom when it comes to ways to get through the dreary second semester months.

“I try my best to pay attention in class and study in advance because every test I take is one less test I have to take until summer… I am very excited to be a senior next year, and it will for sure be my best year so far,” McAteer said.

McAteer and Bryce are super excited to be leaders of the school next year, and both agree that procrastination is definitely not the way to go.

“The past couple months have been pretty dreary and that’s made it hard to concentrate on my school work. I would recommend doing your homework the night that it is assigned. I’ve found that the less procrastination you do, the less stressed out you are,” Bryce said.

Senior Mercedes Little finally feels on the road to college. Along with applying for housing and scholarships, she definitely has her plate full with basketball and friendships to juggle alongside regular school work. After attending Dominic for four years, she has a helpful piece of advice when it comes to getting through the second semester slump.

“I am keeping my grades up the best I can because I know I don’t have much longer left. I typically try and get my homework done in any free time I have: during empower hour or the freshman and JV basketball games before mine. I would definitely recommend this tactic to any school athlete who needs help balancing their work and sports,” Mercedes said.

Aside from the dreary months, Mercedes is more than ready for her next school year in college. She is excited for the fresh start, but nervous to leave her home and friends.

The second semester slump has proved to be a hard time for all grade levels. From the seniors’ upcoming first day jitters to the juniors awaiting senior year and college decisions to the freshman and sophomores ready to move up on the leadership scale, it’s safe to say that students at St. Dominic are kicking the second semester slump to the curb. Make sure to take the advice given by our wise students to heart in order to make these last few months the best yet!