New Teachers, New Fun

This school year St. Dominic has gained plenty of new teachers. From math to religion to history, the departments here have certainly grown in the best way possible.

Beginning with religion, Mr. John Eckhard is back in the classroom, as this year is his first time teaching in over a decade. Mr. Eckhard noticed an opening online by coincidence (and by God nudging him), so he applied to see where it would take him.

“I have always loved teaching religion, and now I finally have the chance to do it again,” Mr. Eckhard said.

Mr. Eckhard and his wife have four children—a set of triplets who are almost nine and an 11-year-old who is nonverbal autistic. He says he is amazed at how welcoming and inviting all the students and faculty at St. Dominic have been.

Mrs. Amber Naumann is new in the biology department this year. She came from Trinity Catholic High School.

“The thing I like most about working here so far is being a part of such a welcoming community. The faculty, staff and students are amazing!” Mrs. Naumann said.

Mrs. Naumann chose St. Dominic because of its positive reputation within the community, and she can’t wait to get to know more people in it.

In the art department, Mrs. Meredith Huhman is sharing art teacher duties with Ms. Nasser this year. She came from Glendale High School in Springfield, Missouri, as her and her husband originally moved to the St. Louis area to be closer to family. Mrs. Huhman values a Catholic education and was very excited to start here this fall.

“I love it when the students are so polite and say ‘thank you’ when they exit the classroom at the end of class. It puts a smile on my face,” Mrs. Huhman said.

Like many of the other new teachers here, she appreciates the welcoming atmosphere and community of St. Dominic.

Ms. Dani Smith is new in the english department and is a co-sponsor for student council. She graduated from Maryville and will be graduating from Lindenwood University next May with her master’s in teaching.

“I chose St. Dominic because I wanted to work in a school where faith is an integral part of the teaching of young minds,” Ms. Smith said.

She says St. Dominic has an incredible community of supportive people and has felt nothing but support from everyone so far.

Lastly, Ms. Denise Saey is new in the business department. She previously taught and retired from the Fort Zumwalt School District. Ms. Saey was subbing up to three days a week when she saw an opening and decided to go back to full-time teaching.

“The staff and students have been very welcoming, and the students are fun to teach. I think it was meant to be!” Ms. Saey said.

There is definitely a wide array of new teachers and faculty at St. Dominic this year, and we are so lucky to have these brilliant minds around us. Be sure to continue to be welcoming—make them feel at home!