St. Dominic Alumni: Where Are They Now?

Whether you graduated in 1929 or 2009, there is no denying the strong sense of community among students of St. Dominic High School. Leaving high school and entering the real world can be a challenge, but these alumni had no trouble adjusting to adult life thanks to SDHS.

Class of ‘89 graduate Terry Herbert is a prime example of this. After
graduation, Herbert decided to go into Catholic health care and is currently working in the marketing department at Mercy Hospital. According to him, St. Dominic gave him all of the essential tools he needs for his current career choice.

“Showing compassion and understanding to all I encounter is a key piece of what I do, and SDHS helped me hone those skills through a nurturing community dedicated to modeling ourselves in the image of Jesus,” said Herbert.

Herbert also says that he is grateful for the frequent school masses, which made him the practicing Catholic he is today. Besides a fully-formed faith, St. Dominic also gave to him his best friends, with whom he still communicates frequently.

In addition to a successful career, Herbert is also blessed with a fantastic family. He met his wife, Andrea, at St. Dominic, who shaped him into the hard-working man he is today. His two daughters, Maddie and Allison, are both on track to graduate from SDHS.

“When I graduated high school, I really had no idea what was in store for my future, but I hoped it included a loving family. Today that dream is a reality,” said Herbert.

His greatest advice for current high schoolers is, don’t sweat the small stuff. Many students tend to stress over tiny problems that seem insurmountable at the time, but he wants to emphasize that most high school issues are small stuff.

Like Terry Herbert, fellow St. Dominic graduate, Kyle Merkle, has
come a long way since graduation back in 2006. He is now married to his high school sweetheart, Sara, owns a house and has a one-year-old son, Noah.

When he’s not spending time with his family, Merkle is juggling a full-time job as an evening lumber associate at Lowe’s and going back to school, which is certainly commendable.

“Since I am going to school and working, I have to prioritize my time and focus on what’s important. St. Dominic helped give me a sense of responsibility,” said Merkle.

One of Merkle’s favorite memories from St. Dominic is the moment he first met his wife.

“When I first met Sara, we had to do a skit in religion class. She was Mary, I was Joseph and she was carrying around a small boombox wrapped in a blanket that was suppose to be baby Jesus. It was just really funny,” said Merkle.

Although some students are looking forward to leaving high school, Merkle wants to remind you that your time at St. Dominic is something you are sure to miss in the near future.

“Enjoy no responsibility when it lasts! Class and tests are nothing compared to kids and bills. I wouldn’t trade anything today, but I wish I would have appreciated more back then,” said Merkle.

On the other hand, Class of ’17 alumni, Lauren Basse, claims SDHS has definitely prepared her for college life. Basse is currently majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders at Missouri State University in Springfield, Missouri. She is planning to earn her Masters degree in Speech and Language Pathology.

Although Basse is not currently employed, she says St. Dominic has shaped her into a successful college student. St. Dominic’s emphasis on hard work and time management has made her more than prepared to tackle any new challenge that may come her way.

“I don’t have a job at the moment since I just began college, but St. Dominic has prepared me for when it comes to organizational skills and prioritizing classwork and extracurriculars. Being away from my family, I have gained more responsibility and independence. I don’t have to wear a uniform anymore, so that’s a big change,” said Basse.

High school is the time to form long-lasting relationships that will withstand the test of time. The friends you make in high school are often the ones that you will carry into adulthood.

“My high school friendships shaped me into the person I am today by being honest and supportive. With that, I learned how to speak my mind and to always empower and encourage those around me… I miss the family feeling that St. Dominic has. Every time I would walk into school, I was able to smile and wave at almost anyone. I also miss the cafeteria cookies,” said Basse.

One of SDHS’s most defining qualities is its profound sense of camaraderie among students. All St. Dominic alumni can testify to this with certainty. Although these four years may seem long, you’ll come out of high school with much more than just a quality education. You will leave with a readiness for any new challenges, an open heart for God and unbreakable relationships that will last forever.