• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

“Who is Killer Mike?”

NBC News
Killer Mike posing on the red carpet before his arrest

Popular rapper, Killer Mike, was arrested after winning three Grammys. Many people are questioning who he is, why he got arrested, and how he managed to win multiple awards for his music. 

Killer Mike, whose real name is Micheal Render, made his debut on OutKast’s fourth album, Stankonia. He signed with Big Boi’s Purple Ribbon Records and Columbia Records to release his first studio album, Monster in 2003. 

Render’s first album reached number ten in the Billboard 200, he followed up with four albums nine years later. His album R.A.P Music was produced by fellow rapper and producer EI-P. He and Render formed the duo, Run the Jewels, in 2013. 

Following their debut album, they made four sequels that earned Render an additional Grammy Award nomination. 

Render is also known for being a social and political activist, who focuses on social inequality, systemic racism, and police brutality. Not only does he discuss these topics in his music, but has lectured at colleges and universities, written for publications including Billboard, and been the subject of interviews on the topic of police misconduct, and race relations. 

Along with being an activist, rapper, and producer, Render is also an actor. He has appeared in films such as Idlewild, Baby Driver, ATL, and America: The Motion Picture. He also released his own docu-series called Trigger Warning with Killer Mike that investigated Black Americans affected by social issues. 

But the reason Render acquired an Emmy in 2022 is from his Public Broadcasting Service, Love & Respect, where Render interviews guests in politics, sports, entertainment, and more. 

Unfortunately, the attention of Render’s three Grammys is being taken away because of his arrest. 

Almost an hour after Killer Mike won his awards for rap song of the year, rap performance of the year for “Scientists & Engineers,” and rap album of the year for Micheal, Render left the Peacock Theatre and then attempted to return with several more people.

Upon attempting to enter the venue, Render and his guests were stopped by a security guard and asked to see his access credentials. He then shoved a female private security officer, who was blocking him from returning inside the theater. 

“The suspect was placed under arrest and was transported to LAPD Central Division,” a statement said, according to Billboard. 

Render was charged with misdemeanor battery and was released without bail. 

At the time of the arrest, neither the Recording Academy or reps for the rapper had responded to any comments, or questions from the media.  

On Monday, Render responded to the incident while on V103’s Big Tigger Morning Show. When asked what happened, Render down played the incident. 

“I won a Grammy, we partied all night. Shout out to my record label. Ain’t nothing happened, man. But we are winners. That’s it,” Render said on V103’s Big Tigger Morning Show. 

Render has also spoken about his innocence, but he is scheduled to appear in court later this month.