The student news site of St. Dominic High School

Crusader Nation

• Messi will have to decide: Copa America or the Olympics?

Sports

Messi’s Big Decision

• February 28, 2024

Broadcast

February 28, 2024

• USA hockey team unexpectedly beats USSR in 1980 Winter Olympics

Sports

44th Anniversary of USA hockey’s Miracle on ice

• SDHS celebrates the three Lenten Pillars: almsgiving, fasting, and prayer

Features

Our Lenten Journey

• Ruby Franke and Jodi Hildebrandt at their February 20th hearing

News

YouTube Mom Ruby Franke and Counselor Jodi Hildebrandt Sentenced in Court

•  Boys Volleyball have had tremendous success the past two seasons

Sports

Spring Sports Preview: Boys Volleyball

• Coach Jowers ready to tackle the excitement of freshman soccer!

Sports

New Freshman Girls Soccer Coach

• SDHS Baseball ready for redemption after disappointing end in 2023

Showcase

A Look Into the Upcoming Baseball Season

• NHL players make their long awaited return to the Olympics

Sports

A Return To The Games

• The Odysseus lunar lander successfully reached the moon on Thursday

News

Odysseus Moon Mission Makes History

Crusader Nation

Crusader Nation

The Outrage with the Oscars

theguardian.com
Some of 2023’s best movies and now, newest Oscar nominees

The Academy’s nominations for the Oscars came out this week, and the opinions are mixed. With everything from Barbie to Killers Of The Flower Moon, the Academy has some tough decisions to make. 

The nominations for the Oscars were all over the place because of the variety of movies that were released this year. The nomination list is full of stars such as Robert Downey Jr., Emma Stone, and Cillian Murphy, so finding the winner without looking biased is going to be difficult. Ophinhimer received 12 nominations, many people are already skeptical of the way the Oscars is going to play out. 

The Best Picture category is going to be a surprise no matter who wins. This being because the category is so diverse this year. The styles of all the movies are so different that it will be hard to compare them to choose a winner. An example of this is Past Lives and Poor Things, where they have little to nothing in common. 

Many people are frustrated with the Oscars for the nominations of Best Director, because only one nominee is a girl, Justine Triet. Many are upset with the fact that the top grossing movie of the year was Barbie and its director, Greta Gerwig, was not nominated. 

Fans of the Barbie movie are saying the movie was not understood by its audience because of the nominations it received at the Oscars. Margot Robbie was not nominated for Best Actress although she was the face of the movie. When her co-star, Ryan Gosling, got nominated for best supporting actor, people were outraged. Finally, I’m Just Ken, the ballad meant to be the joke of the movie is up against What Was I Made For? that moved young girls and grown women to tears, this almost makes it feel as if I’m Just Ken degrades What Was I Made For? ‘s nomination. 

Then in other categories there are movies that feel like they were just put there to people please. One of these movies being Elemental in best animated feature. The story is great but the animation is nothing new. With the Disney name slapped on the front the Academy feels the need to give it what they think the people want. Whereas its competitors worked ten times harder to get there. The best example of this is Spider-Man: Across The SpiderVerse. With so many different styles of animation and innovative ideas this movie earned its spot. 

The Oscars are in a tough spot with rumors of bias and discrimination, but I’m sure everyone will be tuned in to see the winners of their respective categories. You can watch the Oscars on ABC on March 12th at 7:00 pm.