The student news site of St. Dominic High School

Crusader Nation

• May 2, 2024

Broadcast

May 2, 2024

• This Thursday at St. Dominic is the annual Crusader Day!

Showcase

Celebrate St. Dominic

• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

Entertainment

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• St. Dominic prom will be hosted at Old Hickory tomorrow

Showcase

Once Upon A Prom

• Lily’s Letter

A Letter From the Editor

Lily’s Letter

• Noahs Letter

A Letter From the Editor

Noah’s Letter

• Alyssas Letter

A Letter From the Editor

Alyssa’s Letter

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Sports

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

• April 18, 2024

Broadcast

April 18, 2024

• Evan Luke posing for his Senior year high school photos

Players to Watch

Player to Watch: Evan Luke

Crusader Nation

Crusader Nation

The Outrage with the Oscars

theguardian.com
Some of 2023’s best movies and now, newest Oscar nominees

The Academy’s nominations for the Oscars came out this week, and the opinions are mixed. With everything from Barbie to Killers Of The Flower Moon, the Academy has some tough decisions to make. 

The nominations for the Oscars were all over the place because of the variety of movies that were released this year. The nomination list is full of stars such as Robert Downey Jr., Emma Stone, and Cillian Murphy, so finding the winner without looking biased is going to be difficult. Ophinhimer received 12 nominations, many people are already skeptical of the way the Oscars is going to play out. 

The Best Picture category is going to be a surprise no matter who wins. This being because the category is so diverse this year. The styles of all the movies are so different that it will be hard to compare them to choose a winner. An example of this is Past Lives and Poor Things, where they have little to nothing in common. 

Many people are frustrated with the Oscars for the nominations of Best Director, because only one nominee is a girl, Justine Triet. Many are upset with the fact that the top grossing movie of the year was Barbie and its director, Greta Gerwig, was not nominated. 

Fans of the Barbie movie are saying the movie was not understood by its audience because of the nominations it received at the Oscars. Margot Robbie was not nominated for Best Actress although she was the face of the movie. When her co-star, Ryan Gosling, got nominated for best supporting actor, people were outraged. Finally, I’m Just Ken, the ballad meant to be the joke of the movie is up against What Was I Made For? that moved young girls and grown women to tears, this almost makes it feel as if I’m Just Ken degrades What Was I Made For? ‘s nomination. 

Then in other categories there are movies that feel like they were just put there to people please. One of these movies being Elemental in best animated feature. The story is great but the animation is nothing new. With the Disney name slapped on the front the Academy feels the need to give it what they think the people want. Whereas its competitors worked ten times harder to get there. The best example of this is Spider-Man: Across The SpiderVerse. With so many different styles of animation and innovative ideas this movie earned its spot. 

The Oscars are in a tough spot with rumors of bias and discrimination, but I’m sure everyone will be tuned in to see the winners of their respective categories. You can watch the Oscars on ABC on March 12th at 7:00 pm.