The student news site of St. Dominic High School

Crusader Nation

• Messi will have to decide: Copa America or the Olympics?

Sports

Messi’s Big Decision

• February 28, 2024

Broadcast

February 28, 2024

• USA hockey team unexpectedly beats USSR in 1980 Winter Olympics

Sports

44th Anniversary of USA hockey’s Miracle on ice

• SDHS celebrates the three Lenten Pillars: almsgiving, fasting, and prayer

Features

Our Lenten Journey

• Ruby Franke and Jodi Hildebrandt at their February 20th hearing

News

YouTube Mom Ruby Franke and Counselor Jodi Hildebrandt Sentenced in Court

•  Boys Volleyball have had tremendous success the past two seasons

Sports

Spring Sports Preview: Boys Volleyball

• Coach Jowers ready to tackle the excitement of freshman soccer!

Sports

New Freshman Girls Soccer Coach

• SDHS Baseball ready for redemption after disappointing end in 2023

Showcase

A Look Into the Upcoming Baseball Season

• NHL players make their long awaited return to the Olympics

Sports

A Return To The Games

• The Odysseus lunar lander successfully reached the moon on Thursday

News

Odysseus Moon Mission Makes History

Crusader Nation

Crusader Nation

Unwrapping Classic Christmas Movies

Letslassothemoon.com
Classic Christmas movies come into play during the holiday season

Christmas movies are a huge aspect of the holiday season. Over the years, we have been given a range of classic movies that never get old, no matter how many times we watch them. These movies are what makes Christmas the true season of cheer that it is.

An animated Christmas classic is the Polar Express. This movie, aired in 2004, is about a young boy who starts to lose the Christmas spirit, and not believe in Santa Claus. He takes an adventure on the Polar Express, which brings him to the North Pole. On his journey, the boy learns the true meaning of Christmas. This classic movie featured Tom Hanks, and used a one of its kind animation, called motion capture technology. 

If you ever want a Christmas movie combined with comedy, then Elf is the perfect one to watch. This 2003 classic movie stars Will Ferrell, who does an amazing job portraying the role of Buddy the Elf. In the movie, Buddy lives in the North Pole, but travels to New York to find his real dad. He quickly realizes that New York is not like the North Pole at all. By the end of the movie, Buddy forms a relationship with his father, and falls in love. This is truly a movie that will never fail to make someone laugh every time. 

On a more serious note, If you want to watch a good Christmas movie with a great message, then It’s a Wonderful Life is the perfect match. This movie is about a man named George Bailey, who feels like a nuisance to the world, and wishes he was never born. An angel shows George what it would have been like if he was never born. George quickly sees the positive aspect he has on people, and finally realizes his worth. It’s a captivating story that brings on the true essence of Christmas. 

Some other animated classics are Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, The Year Without a Santa Claus, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and Santa Claus is Comin to Town. These movies are geared towards younger audiences, and portray great messages in each movie. It is clear to see how these classics still live on this day in age. 

One last classic that was made into a live action movie years ago, was How the Grinch Stole Christmas. This movie starred Jim Carrey, who played the Grinch exceedingly well. The movie starts with a mean creature who hates Christmas, so he steals all the presents and decorations from the Who’s in Whoville. Once the Grinch sees that the Who’s were still singing together, despite having all their stuff taken from them, the Grinch sees that Christmas is more than just presents. This movie also provided some classic songs that everyone knows like, Where are You Christmas. 

It is clear to see how the spirit of Christmas started to slowly fade the older you get, but these movies never fail to bring us back to that holiday joy. They give us the opportunity to feel what we felt when watching them as a kid, for the first time. It also gives us a reason to spend time with our loved ones, while watching these timeless classics.