Ballin’ out with JV

Cole+Beerman+winds+up+at+bat+during+important+JV+game.+

Taylor Holdmeier

Cole Beerman winds up at bat during important JV game.

St. Dominic has a wide variety of wonderful spring sports teams to look at when joining here. The upbringing of these winning, highly competitive varsity teams all start with their hard-working junior varsity teams, made up of the beloved freshman and sophomores.

Lacrosse is one of the newer sports here at St. Dominic. They only have a JV and varsity team, but continue to grow more and more every year. This year’s JV team consists of three sophomores and fourteen freshmen. They are coached by Alyssa Kochin, or also known by her players as Coach K. 

“The season is going really well, I love the community and how everyone is connecting this season. I’m looking forward to next year as well,” Freshman Breeanna Moore said.

This is Bree’s first year at Dominic, and like most freshmen who join the program, it’s her first time ever playing lacrosse in her life. She plays as a midfielder, as one of the eleven people on the lacrosse field at once. They have had a terrific start to their season with a winning record of five wins and one loss. Also, only recently taking their first loss of the season to a hard Francis Howell Central team. 

The JV boys volleyball team is also off to a winning season start with nine wins and only one loss. Their loss was taken against Fort Zumwalt West, but this past weekend they avenged themselves by taking a first place finish at the Fort Zumwalt tournament. 

The boys volleyball JV team consists of six returning sophomores, and ten freshmen. These boys are coached by the newest member of the boys and girls volleyball program, Taylor Linville. 

“We have made so much progress since last year and our JV squad has a lot of potential to do well in the next few years,” Sophomore Johnny Petruso said. 

The boys volleyball program had a historic last season after varsity won state for the first time. Johnny Petruso, is a second year JV player and plays as an outside for his team. He believes his hardworking, and fun teammates have a shot at another state run in the years to come. 

Speaking of State runs, girls soccer had back-to-back championships for St. Dominic in their past seasons. The program is looking great as expected this year especially for the JV team. They have a record of 2-2 after playing two of the hardest teams in the area at the start of their season. One of those teams being Fort Zumwalt South, who the girls fell to in a competitive match. 

This year the girls are coached by Darren Rahe, and the team is made up of seventeen girls including four freshmen and thirteen sophomores. 

“I love my team this year, we had a hard start but we are finally starting to play as a team,” Sophomore Elise Boschert said. 

Elise plays as a midfielder for Dominic’s JV team. She believes her team has grown so much in the last year, and is confident that they have a shot for more state titles in the years to come.

The JV baseball team is coached by Matt Steele, with fourteen boys playing including eight sophomores and seven freshmen. Currently they have a record of five wins and four losses with their hardest game being against Lafayette.

“I love playing on JV this year because of the higher competition in the teams we play,” Sophomore Ethan Bolinger said. 

This is Ethan’s second year in the baseball program, and he loves being on JV with his fun and competitive teammates. Ethan plays as a DH (designated hitter) and a third baseman. His favorite memory so far this season, is when he accidentally ripped freshman AJ Flamms’ pants after celebrating his single hit that scored his team two runs, helping them win a game. 

The JV teams have a fun and aggressive environment that they play in. They are hardworking and strive to achieve goals  for themselves and for their future years at St. Dominic.