McKinley’s Letter

McKinley%E2%80%99s+Letter

Honestly, I never thought I would be sitting here writing this. It sounds corny, I know, but it’s the truth. I remember my sophomore year when we were signing up for junior year classes, and Mr. Duncan took my paper and marked journalism. Little did I know the impact this class would have on my life. Journalism has been a huge blessing in my life. It gave me a place of community and a creative outlet at school. I was able to truly be myself without fear of judgement. I was able to write and be published and share my words with others. Writing is something I treasure and Journalism has been God’s gift to me.

This year I was given another blessing, the role of Podcast Editor and Producer. It has been a highlight in my journalism career. Last year, Mr. Duncan asked me if I would be the podcast host and I was uneasy to say yes at first, but I am so grateful that I did. I was given the opportunity to take journalism and media and mix the two into a splendid hobby. I fell in love with editing and talking to people about the topics I was interested in.

Journalism has given me more than just a grade in a grade book. It gave me lifelong friends and a love for news and a different way of writing. It taught me the importance of deadlines (still working on it), respecting others’ time and how to better interact with people. It showed me that learning in high school can develop into passion.

I write this to you today after my last journalism class, quite frankly bawling my eyes out, and heartbroken that I have to leave this beloved place. This class is one of the main reasons I dread leaving this place, “my” computer and podcast. This class has forever changed how I view my journalism career in high school and I am beyond thankful for it.

And to my dear Mr. Duncan, you are God’s presence in my life. I can never repay you for everything you have done for me. Our countless memories will be something I cherish for the rest of my life, no doubt that you will still be a part of it. You picked me up when I was down, laughed, cried, challenged and encouraged me. You are a father figure in my life. And it has been a privilege to be a student in your class.

Like I said in my last article, I did not believe people when they told me that high school goes by fast. And now in two weeks, my diploma will be in my hand and my cap in the air. How is this day here?

With all this being said, God bless Journalism and the people and the memories that have come with it. These past four years would be nothing without the impact that J1 and J2 had on me.

For the last time,

“I’m McKinley Curran,” and this has been the BEST Crusader Conversation.

Senior Podcast Editor/Producer,

McKinley Curran