On Track to Finish Strong

Scott Moore

The varsity track team preparing for their next meet

With spring now underway, St. Dominic athletics are in full swing as well. The Track and Field team is doing particularly well this year, with the girls team already on a winning streak.

Despite the many individual students who participate in track and field events, the sport itself often receives less attention as a whole. The program is composed of close to 130 students, including several seniors who deserve recognition for their hard work over the past four years. Not only are St. Dominic seniors able to share what they love about track and field, but they also have some words of wisdom to pass on to under-classmen.

Elise Newman

Track Events

Although track athletes compete in multiple events during a meet, they tend to focus on one major area during training. For runners, the categories are broken into sprints, long distance running and hurdles.

Sprints

Sprinters have the option of running solo in events such as the 100 meter, the 200 meter and the 400 meter dash. They can also compete as a relay team in the 4×100 meter and the 4×200 meter events.

Hunter Powell is the only senior boy who runs sprints full time. Over the past two years, he has developed a sense of leadership and enjoys working with students who are new to the team.

“My favorite event is the 4×100 because I like being the anchor on relay races. My favorite part of track is the people on the team because they are fun to talk to and compete with,” Powell said.

Long Distance

For those who prefer to run longer distances, six events, including the 800 meter, 1,600 meter and 3,200 meter events, are available. Long distance also offers relay races with distances of 4×400 meters and 4×800 meters. These athletes train with Coach Scott Moore to build up their speed while maintaining a steady endurance.

Senior Taytum Scarbourogh has been running long distance for two years now. She enjoys the challenge running presents and would recommend track and field to any athlete looking for a new sport to try.

“Track and field requires running and other various activities like throwing and jumping—something that many people grow to enjoy—and puts a competitive nature into it. The community track builds are incredible, and I love how we’re all able to push each other to be the best we can be,” Scarborough said.

Hurdles

While hurdles are considered a running event, they are arguably more difficult due to the added challenge of having to jump periodically during the event. Hurdlers not only have to be swift on their feet, but they also must be able to clear 10 hurdles ranging from 33-42 inches while they run. The height of the hurdles depend on the age and gender of the competitor.

For senior varsity runner Michael Foley, hurdling comes naturally. He enjoys the opportunity to train with his friends and would encourage anyone interested in the event to get out of their comfort zone and give hurdles a chance.

“I love my event with the 110 hurdles because I love competing against others in it and pushing myself to do better. My favorite part of track definitely has to be the meets we go to during the year at all different schools. I love that we are a team competing against other teams and get to cheer on others in different events. It makes us all closer together throughout the track season which makes it my favorite part so far,” Foley said.

Field Events

Field events make up about half of the sport and are composed of a wide range of competitions. Athletes who compete in field events have the option to choose between jumping, throwing or pole vaulting as a way of contributing to the team.

Jumping

To further break down the field events, jumping is composed of long jump, high jump and triple jump. Each of these competitions requires a unique set of skills that athletes must work to perfect. Coaches and senior athletes alike assist St. Dominic’s jumpers and help them perform to the best of their abilities.

Senior Molly Albrecht has been on the track team for the past four years. She competes in the long and triple jump and enjoys the activity for its challenging yet invigorating nature.

“I would definitely recommend track to other students. It’s a great way to stay in shape and add an extracurricular activity to your resume.  Coach Markway also does an excellent job of turning what most would consider an individual sport into a true team experience,” Albrecht said.

Pole Vault

While running and jumping tends to come more naturally to athletes, pole vault is a totally different experience that one must get accustomed to. Luckily, St. Dominic’s pole vaulters have several coaches to guide them through their event.

After competing in pole vault for four years, it is safe to say that senior Quinn Kiger knows a thing or two about the sport. He has become adept in the field event, and it has grown into a passion he anticipates with each season.

“Pole vaulting is so different from all other events and sports, and it is an absolute blast to fly through the air. Whether it is a meet or just practice, going down to the track to vault is something I look forward to everyday. Achieving new height records and placing in meets is such a great and very different feeling than you get from winning against a single opponent in a team sport,” Kiger said.

Throwing

Discus, javelin and shot put are the final events that make up the field portion of track. These events involve launching various types of equipment with the goal of getting it furthest down the field.

While some athletes focus on just one or two of the throwing events, senior Emma Hall has spent her high school career competing in all three types of throwing.

“I would say that my favorite event is javelin because I am currently trying to beat the school record and I think it’s the event that I’m best at. I would recommend people join track because it’s a good way to get involved and meet new friends, since so many participate. Track is also a good way to stay in shape for other sports, or it can just be something you do for fun,” Hall said.

St. Dominic’s track and field team is composed of many talented and supportive athletes. There are multiple unique events to compete in, so students of all kinds are sure to find the event they can excel at. Whether you are thinking about joining the Track and Field team or just enjoying cheering the team on from the sidelines, be sure to wish our Crusaders luck as they work to finish the year strong.