Advice From the Wise(ish)

The end is nearing closer for the 2019 seniors as we prepare for the turbulent transition from high school to college. Over the course of this year, I have realized the most important things to watch out for as a high school senior. So Class of 2020 — I’m looking at you.

1. Senioritis

The inevitable epidemic that swarms high schools nationwide is no joke. If you or a loved one has been affected by Senioritis, know you are not alone. The knowledge of college acceptance makes high school work seem unimportant for seniors.

Through my experience, I have found the best cure for Senioritis is suppressing the reality that you are leaving high school next year deep into your subconscious. Guaranteed to work or your diploma back!

2. Keep High School Memories

“Oh how I miss high school. I wish I could go back and appreciate what I had.” Every adult in your life has likely said the exact same thing, and now I am too.

As you start to pack up your things from your childhood room, reality sets in that childhood is over and so are your training wheels. Freedom may sound glorious, but I guarantee that at least once in college you are going to miss your mom’s cooking.

A look back at Snapchat memories is much more sentimental as you prepare to leave all your friends and family. The people you have grown to love are now being ushered along a different path than you, and the thought of never seeing them again can be overwhelming.

The quick fix for missing lost friends is by cherishing the memories and being grateful for the time you had with them. Trust me, just a few listens to “See You Again” by Charlie Puth and Wiz Khalifa and you’ll be good to go.

3. GET INVOLVED!

I know, I know. It’s cliche. But your involvement in your school community is more important than you may think. Colleges care less about GPA and more about what you do to impact your community.

Service hours aren’t the only way to make your mark. Working hard at academics or sports (or Spanish Club) may earn you a spot in the unofficial St. Dominic Hall of Fame. That’s why I have made it a duty of mine to stand out as much as possible. (If you see the only guy in the school holding a Taylor Swift water bottle, that’s me).

As I near the end of my adolescent journey, I reminisce about all the highs and lows that come with high school. I encourage all underclassmen to heed my advice and maybe you won’t be as much of an emotional wreck as I am.

P.S. If any freshman are reading this, be prepared for St. Dominic to be NOTHING like High School Musical.