• Fans criticize Taylor Swifts new Album The Tortured Poets Department

The Tortured Poet’s Department: Taylor’s Latest Album

• The boys tennis team celebrates Luca Ramirez for his dedication

Luca Ramirez Tennis Senior Night

St. Dominic Warmly Welcomes Human Kind STL

Nathan Tock
Dominic’s students and staff volunteered at one of HumanKIND’s events

St. Dominic never stops searching for new and positive ways to impact our students, our local communities, and now, the whole world. Our school is currently in the first stages of a collaboration with HumanKIND STL, a charity organization that seeks to help refugees from all across the globe find a new, and successful life in America. 

HumanKIND STL, founded in April of 2022, is an off-shoot of Welcome Neighbor STL, a large organization that focuses on giving refugee families all of the tools, skills, and experiences necessary to become working American citizens. For most of us at St. Dominic, America is all we have ever known. For refugees, it is a completely foreign country that has unexpectedly become their new home. These families are surrounded by an unfamiliar culture, customs, and may speak very little English. By getting to know these refugees as people, HumanKIND  volunteers become their first friends in America. 

“We visit (the families) regularly, take them to the grocery store, to doctor’s appointments, coordinate furniture delivery, bring clothes and shoes, help find jobs and transportation, register them for school, and take them to the bus stop on the first day,” HumanKIND’s mission statement on their website said. 

Soon, St. Dominic students could join them in their virtuous cause. Mr. Tock, the Assistant Principal for Student Life, attended one of HumanKIND’s fundraising events, on behalf of our school over the weekend, along with other staff members, and a few students. He was first introduced to the charity by a member of the St. Dominic community, and felt compelled to reach out.

“I’ve met with their leaders, and it really inspired me to think about some stuff that could be part of the house philanthropy system. It made me want to drive down right away and do something,” Mr. Tock said. 

As it stands currently, each of the six houses at St. Dominic, sponsors a different charity. To encourage school-wide participation in community service, Mr. Tock described a plan to get multiple houses involved with HumanKIND. Especially during the holiday season, when the spirit of family, and giving, are at the forefront of our minds, there would be plentiful opportunities for students to volunteer at HumanKIND events. 

While nothing is for certain yet, it is always exciting to hear about potential ways for St. Dominic to uphold its essential pillar of service. Regardless of what happens, our school hopes HumanKIND STL continues to touch the hearts in our St. Louis community, with kindness and generosity.