The student news site of St. Dominic High School

Crusader Nation

• Messi will have to decide: Copa America or the Olympics?

Sports

Messi’s Big Decision

• February 28, 2024

Broadcast

February 28, 2024

• USA hockey team unexpectedly beats USSR in 1980 Winter Olympics

Sports

44th Anniversary of USA hockey’s Miracle on ice

• SDHS celebrates the three Lenten Pillars: almsgiving, fasting, and prayer

Features

Our Lenten Journey

• Ruby Franke and Jodi Hildebrandt at their February 20th hearing

News

YouTube Mom Ruby Franke and Counselor Jodi Hildebrandt Sentenced in Court

•  Boys Volleyball have had tremendous success the past two seasons

Sports

Spring Sports Preview: Boys Volleyball

• Coach Jowers ready to tackle the excitement of freshman soccer!

Sports

New Freshman Girls Soccer Coach

• SDHS Baseball ready for redemption after disappointing end in 2023

Showcase

A Look Into the Upcoming Baseball Season

• NHL players make their long awaited return to the Olympics

Sports

A Return To The Games

• The Odysseus lunar lander successfully reached the moon on Thursday

News

Odysseus Moon Mission Makes History

Crusader Nation

Crusader Nation

The Junior Ring Tradition

@StDominicHS on X
Father Patrick at St. Dominic’s 5th annual Junior ring mass

Monday evening our class of 2025 celebrated St. Dominic’s 5th annual Junior ring mass. 

While the Junior Ring Mass may seem like it has been a part of  St. Dominic for a long time, it is still relatively new. Traditionally, at other schools there is a Junior Ring Dance. However, St. Dominic saw this night as a way to build community, and a stronger faith connection.

“Your Junior ring is a really big deal, and I think that we should celebrate when you get them. Starting this mass, and ceremony for the Juniors, originated out of our last strategic plan, and this upcoming night will be the 5th Junior Ring Mass,” President Jim Welby said.

While being a mass celebrant for junior rings might seem ordinary, it is especially unique for Fr. Patrick, seeing as how he was not able to have any special experience for receiving his class ring.

“My school did not have any traditions surrounding junior rings. That’s why I love being a part of the team that hands put the rings. It is so cool to see how excited everyone is when they receive their rings,” Fr. Patrick said.

For many of St. Dominic’s seniors who have already participated in this beloved tradition, their junior rings are beloved keepsakes and reminders of their memories of their time at St. Dominic. 

“I actually don’t wear the ring on a daily basis, considering it is a larger ring, but it is on full display in my bedroom, and something that I am so proud to look at every single day considering the amount of memories it holds from my time here at St. Dominic,” Senior Noah Schuessler said. 

In prior years, receiving a junior ring at St. Dominic was celebrated minimally. However, the mass was brought about to make a separate special experience for the juniors, which would have to be different from another dance, that not many people would attend.

“Before this mass and ceremony, we used to have a breakfast where students would come in and get their rings. It wasn’t a ceremony at all. Some other schools have a dance, but we felt like the Winter Formal would be more attractive, and in general juniors would prefer to go to that than a Junior Dance,” Welby said.

The Junior Ring Mass is a unique tradition compared to other schools, who have more traditional celebrations like dances, or ceremonies without a mass. However, it’s a tradition that St. Dominic students are proud to have the opportunity to take part in. 

“I’m looking forward to being with my classmates, and having a blessed ring that will always remind me of St. Dominic. What better way to celebrate our accomplishments, and memories at St. Dominic, then with a mass,” Junior Abby Woytus said. 

The Junior Ring Mass and Ceremony reflects St. Dominic’s values, by showcasing all our pillars, Prayer, Community, Study, and Service.

“To me, it aligns so closely with two of our four pillars, the pillars of Prayer and Community. Holding this ceremony with a mass, speaks to the importance of our faith based education, and is a foundational element of our entire school. I love it, honestly,” Welby said.

The Junior Ring Mass is a universally loved tradition among students. 

“In all honesty, there isn’t anything that I would want to change about my junior ring experience, because I enjoyed practically every aspect of it. It felt like a true milestone in my time at St. Dominic, because it signifies how much closer I am to graduating,” Schuessler said. 

The Junior Ring Mass is a beloved tradition, where we are so lucky to have the opportunity to celebrate as a community. Congratulations to the class of 2025 on receiving their junior rings!