Students are Flooding the Hallways

Becca Ryan

St. Dominic students walk through the halls shoulder to shoulder.

Starting high school is scary for freshmen, especially when you’re going to different classes and having to memorize where each of them are. It is even harder when the hallways are very crowded, and it is hard to see all the room signs and numbers. 

“The first couple weeks of school were very intimidating for me trying to get through the hallways without running into anyone and finding my classes. Especially being in the room before the bell rang,” said freshman Marrissa Rohne. 

The hallways have gotten very crowded this school year because of the large freshman class. The biggest Saint Dominic has ever had: 300 students. Even with the expansion, 900 students flooding through the hallways is extremely cramped. 

“It has affected my commute from class to class by slowing me down because of how many students are packed in all of the hallways,” said junior Ava Vachalek. 

Classes in T hall are very hard to get to. With students constantly walking through the T hallway, the classrooms in that area are nearly impossible to get to on time. Trying to navigate to a classroom in that hallway is much more difficult due to the lack of space, yet the sea of students trying to get to class in a timely manner. 

“I have a couple of classes in the 200s and 300s hallway and it is always challenging to get to them because of how crowded the T hall is. Most of the time I try to cut through outside to get to class quicker,” said senior Ella Catlett.  

Getting through the hallways is difficult but can be made easier if you know exactly where you are going beforehand. Knowing the location of your classroom can help you decide where specifically in the hallway you need to walk. Also, there are many different ways to get to every classroom at St. Dominic. Many students choose to go outside on a nice day because there is unlimited space to walk and roam. It is still hard to get around all the moving students, but knowing where you are headed and knowing the most efficient way of travel can make your passing period a lot less stressful.