ACT Reveals New Changes

If you are on track to take the ACT in 2020, you’re in luck. Next year, somewhat controversial changes will take effect, but they’re sure to please most future test takers.

In the past, test takers could retake the whole ACT up to 12 times in an attempt to raise their original score. However, starting next fall, students will have the option to retake only specific sections, rather than the whole test.

This change may aid students who are struggling to raise their score in only one specific section, since they now have the ability to focus solely on studying for just English, reading, science or math.

Students who are current juniors or younger may benefit hugely from this change, as the probability for improving their ACT score will increase astronomically with the chance to concentrate on just the sections they struggle with.

While current seniors are not all too happy to be missing out on these changes, many of them appreciate that the ACT is working harder to accommodate students.

“I’m jealous that younger kids will be able to score higher with this new type of testing; however, I am glad that we’re moving away from the original type of ACT testing, which is long and stressful,” senior Sam Slaid said.

However, with the opportunity to score higher than ever, it is likely that colleges will up their standards for ACT scores. For example, instead of needing a 23 for a scholarship, colleges will probably up the score because ACT scores will undoubtedly rise.

“When I first heard about the change I was really upset because I thought about how much my ACT was lowered by just one test, and I’ll already be in college when the new rules are in place. However, I think that colleges will see the ACT’s credibility as lower or eradicated altogether because of this change, so I’m okay with missing out on this opportunity now,” senior Emma Henke said.

In addition, students taking the ACT will now have the option of taking the test online, which would allow them to receive their scores much more quickly than those taking a paper test.

While students who have already taken the ACT may be unhappy about missing out on changes to the test, future test takers will hopefully benefit from these new features.

Source:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2019/10/08/act-test-changes-score-retake-sections-prep-college-admissions/3909233002/