Stepping Up To The Plate at Districts

Stepping Up To The Plate at Districts

The softball girls have wrapped up their regular season, but they haven’t taken their last swing yet. Last night they defeated Orchard Farm 15-0. Tonight, they face Christian High School in district finals at Lindenwood University.

The team finished the season 15-12 after a tough loss against Helias on Monday. The girls put in so much work this year, even having a eleven-game winning streak in the middle of their season.

“We had our ups and downs this year, but as we head into district play, all of that is behind us and we just have our eye on the prize–a district championship,” said Coach Duncan.

The girls are the number one seed in districts, which they proved at last night’s game. The Crusaders dominated every minute of play, and sophomore Catie Welby wrapped up the game with a walk off triple. Their last district game will be played tonight at Lindenwood University at 5:30.

Seniors Abby Benedict, Riley Luetkenhaus, Audrey Hermann and Julie Minicky are more than ready for tonight’s competition. It is their last chance to make a run at the state title before heading off to college.

“It’s sad knowing that this is the last season I’ll play with some of the people who have become my best friends, and this will be the last season wearing #12, but these last four years playing St. Dominic softball have been amazing and given me so many memories. So, this year, my goal was to just create more of those memories and finish out my high school career strong,” said Luetkenhaus.

“This season means literally everything to me. This being the last softball season of my career is really humbling and makes this season that much more special. I don’t like to think about playing my last game ever, but it will soon be a reality. This being the end of my career, makes this season that much more exciting and nerve racking to bring home some hardware. I feel like just yesterday I was a freshman being pulled up to play in my first varsity game, and now I am a senior who has just a few games left,” said Benedict.

St. Dominic congratulates these ladies on a hard fought season. Their continued determination is sure to lead the team to success in the postseason. Don’t forget to pack the bleachers at Lindenwood University tonight at 5:30 and cheer for your St. Dominic softball team!