Adventure Awaits

If you dream of traveling the world, seeing new sights and experiencing exciting cultures, you are not alone. Many high school students wish they were touring the Colosseum instead of reading about it in history textbooks.

Traveling is an excellent way to learn about the world, and it is often regarded as the best form of education. Students may wait in agony for college for the opportunity to study abroad, but don’t realize how simple traveling can be now. Several trips are designed to allow high school students to encounter new people and places.

In our own St. Dominic community, there are two chances to leave O’Fallon and explore foreign lands. The French Club will be embarking on a two-week trip to France and the Spanish Club will be spending time in Puerto Rico. If baguettes and the Eiffel Tower or sandy beaches and rainforests are calling your name, look out for these thrilling trips in the future.

Senior Polina Declue has toured several countries spanning the European continent, including Spain, France, Peru, Greece, Italy, Russia and Turkey.

“Traveling opens your perspective to other cultures. You realize many people in the world experience the same things as you and very different things from you. You get to enjoy new experiences and open your eyes to what the world has to offer,” said Declue.

Mission trips are another great opportunity to see the world while helping people in need. Several parishes around St. Dominic travel to third world countries to help build houses or educate children. Other large organizations such as the Center for Student Missions recruits young students from around the nation to serve the less fortunate throughout the world.

Senior Holly Radke has seen a few cities, including Memphis and Omaha, through her work on various mission trips.

“Mission trips make you appreciate how easy your life is. Not only do you get to see the place, you get to meet new people and find out what life is like for them,” said Radke.

If service trips or academic adventures aren’t your thing, plenty of summer camps exist around the world. You can travel just a couple hours outside your town or halfway across the world. Research various countries you may be interested in and check out their programs.

Senior Olivia Sittner has been attending a national summer camp for many years. This camp brings her all over the country and into Canada. She has biked and kayaked to her destinations, which allows her to truly experience new places.

“I enjoyed these trips more than family-style vacations. I believe when you travel by bike or kayak you see much more of the world than if you traveled by plane or car,” said Sittner.

It is easy to make your traveling dreams come true by spending your high school years exploring the world. Whether you travel by plane, car or kayak, traveling is sure to be an exciting memory that will award you with many new experiences and friends. Don’t know where to start? Ask your classmates or search online for fresh opportunities. Adventure is waiting for you!