The Dangers of Senioritis

The Dangers of Senioritis

The class of 2016 has only a few short weeks left until graduation, but will they make it? Many have fallen victim to the crippling disease of senioritis. Laziness, lack of motivation, excessive naps, failure to complete homework and procrastination are symptoms common among high school seniors. With the cure of graduation on the horizon, St. Dominic seniors are holding on for dear life.

Senioritis does not develop overnight. Many victims begin innocently slacking off in their classes, which makes the beginning stages of senioritis hard to recognize. Unfortunately, seniors don’t notice they have senioritis until it is too late and by that time, there is no hope of regaining motivation. For senior Grant Jansen, the symptoms of senioritis have gradually become more problematic.

“I first knew I had senioritis at the beginning of second semester and it has only gotten worse,” said Jansen.

Not only are seniors hit with the symptoms, but teachers notice the effects of senioritis as well. Social Studies teacher Mr. Asher explains how he has noticed the growth of senioritis among his students.

“The number of missing assignments this semester compared to last semester is far greater,” said Mr. Asher.

The consequences of senioritis can prove devastating. Final transcripts are sent to colleges and if a student’s grades drop dramatically, admission may be rejected. According to research by the National Association for College Admissions Counseling, the majority of colleges with acceptance rates between 50-70% rejected admission because of final grades.

To prevent senioritis, one needs to stay focused in school and pay attention to their grades. Remain motivated by creating goals and avoiding procrastination. For the class of 2017, following these tips will ensure a happy and successful senior year. For current seniors, you only have five more weeks to make it through.