PLTW New Beginnings

September 30, 2021

Biomedical students are excited to work in hands-on labs

Dr. Ruscillo

St. Dominic offers a wide array of classes for students to take. Among these are a group of courses known as Project Lead The Way, or PLTW, classes. Thanks to the addition of the science wing at St. Dominic, PLTW classes will soon have a new space to expand and cultivate students’ love and understanding of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

Mr. Bob Hennekes is one of the teachers here at St. Dominic who is involved with PLTW. He teaches both Intro to Engineering and Principles of Engineering to students of all ages. He loves sharing his knowledge and allowing students to be inventive and creative in his classroom.

“I would like [my students] to understand that God made engineering; God made everything and he gave some of us the ability to think up new ways to do things and new ways to make life better for others. I hope my students find Christ in my class and find out if engineering is for them,” Mr. Hennekes said.

Mr. Hennekes is not the only teacher who is passionate about science. Computer Science and Cybersecurity teacher, Mrs. Kristy Hagan, is another member of the St. Dominic community with a devotion to PLTW. She is especially excited for the new building to be put to use.

“The furniture will be more conducive to Computer Science and collaborating. In real life, no matter what career you enter, you will collaborate with others. It is a big component of PLTW Computer Science classes, and it will be so much easier to do with the new classroom space,” Mrs. Hagan said.  

Dr. Deborah Ruscillo is another member of the PLTW team at St. Dominic. She is in charge of the Biomedical Science Pathway, teaching Principles of Biomedical Science and Human Body Systems. There are several reasons Dr. Ruscillo is looking forward to the opening of the new wing. In addition to more supplies, the Biomedical department will be offering two new classes: Medical Interventions and Biomedical Innovations.

“I am very excited to move into the new PLTW Biomedical Sciences room in the Center for the Sciences! The room will be outfitted with new counters and workspaces where students can spread out and really get into the activities. The collaborative spaces will expand our classroom beyond its walls and give us all more mindspace to think- the center will bring teaching to a whole new level. I can’t wait!” Dr. Ruscillo said.

Teachers are not the only ones anticipating the completion of the new building. PLTW students are grateful for the opportunity to have a space dedicated to classes they enjoy.

“I am really looking forward to the new space with all of the new technologies that will be coming with it along with the new work space,” senior Engineering student Savannah Lamb said.

It is no secret that the new building will have a positive impact on much of the student body as well as quite a few teachers. Everyone is looking forward to a location where they are able to experiment, work together and most importantly, learn!