Bringing “Glory” to Dominic

Glory Award recipients with Mrs. Eaton and Representative Ron Hicks

The Glory of Missouri Awards are highly respected awards based on virtue and given to middle school and high school students. There is a tough application process that the students have to complete. Fourteen well-deserving SDHS sophomores were chosen, and on April 13, they traveled to Jefferson City to receive their honorary awards.

Brynn Murray: Charity

A student who exemplifies the virtue of Charity is one who is a true philanthropist. This student is willing to even the score with those less fortunate and this can be abstract or concrete in the student’s behavior. The definition of charity entirely describes Brynn. She has been sponsoring a girl in Guatemala named Marly for the past five years. Brynn writes Marly letters to encourage her to stay in school so she can have the best future possible. Brynn spends a lot of her free time helping others in any way possible.

“I think it is really important to not only reach out to others in your own community, but also around the world. I believe that I am truly making a difference in Marly’s life, and I hope she will continue her education and achieve her life goals,” said Brynn.

Lauryn Torluemke: Education

The students who exemplify the virtue of Education are those who stand for the ideals of the process. They demonstrate the influence and perpetuation of information as they shape and define who they become. This definition of education perfectly describes Lauryn and her hard work and determination toward her future. She knows how valuable education is and strives to be successful. Lauryn continues to show the importance of education in her life by achieving good grades.

“I have been a student who has hated B’s since kindergarten, and I have worked my butt off to mostly avoid them. My teachers know this because I have gone to many of them freaking out about an assignment that I had questions about. My friends are also very aware because I annoyingly stress to them constantly,” said Lauryn.

Lindsey Peters: Enterprise

A student who deserves the award of the virtue of Enterprise demonstrates the innovative and creative energy described in the definition . The virtue of Enterprise represents the forefront in management ability and technique. This award suits Lindsey best because she works hard to be a leader and still stay humble. This is her second Glory Award; in eighth grade, she received one for Charity. Lindsey continues to be involved in her community, be a dance team captain, ambassador, and involved in the plays and musicals and outreach club. She is the person people look up to.

Dani Anjeh: Equality

A student who exemplifies Equality demonstrates fairness in opportunity. They live this virtue by example and action. This award altogether sums up who Dani is as a person. She continues to promote that no matter what race, gender, political affliction, religion, sexual orientation, or age someone is, that does not define who they are. She proves that she earned this award by working hard to help people branch out and do things that they never thought they would.

“I may not live to see the day that each person on this earth is treated equally, but I will dedicate and try even harder to promote equality because we all deserve dignity and respect. Each person is beautiful and has a story to tell. Do not let appearance turn you away from seeing new things,” said Dani.

Tyler Johnson: Fraternity

The student who makes his or her school glorious in the area of Fraternity is one who can demonstrate an attitude of cohesion and friendliness. Tyler shows up to school every day with a positive attitude and he helps people who may not be having the best day. He continues to show others that he earned this award because he puts their needs before his own. People love talking to him because he always makes them smile and laugh no matter what mood they are in.

“I have shown others how much I care about everyone’s needs and have many of times put others before myself, which always gains respect and creates everlasting friendships,” said Tyler.

image

Jack Hogan: Honor

A student who has demonstrated an act of unwavering integrity, a student who volunteers his or her effort behind the scenes, or a student who portrays loyalty when there is little or no personal gain or recognition shows Honor. This definition perfectly describes Jack. He earned this award because he is honorable in his everyday life. Jack volunteers behind the scenes, and is the person you can go to for aid and advice because he enjoys assisting others.

Sophie Kluba: Justice

A student who exemplifies the virtue of Justice is one who demonstrates decision and judgment capabilities. As our system seeks to attain justice through weighing both sides of an issue or dilemma, this student would be one who is concerned with what is ethical in law and action. Sophie is living out this definition in her everyday life by standing up for what she thinks is right and defending people no matter what. Sophie treats people fairly and listens to people when they need it.

Brady Young: Knowledge

The student qualified for the virtue of Knowledge is one who exemplifies the definition. Whoever receives recognition for this award must not only be book smart but also be aware of the state of information. Brady continues to help others with homework and studying. If someone doesn’t understand something, he steps in to help them learn. In seventh grade, Brady received an offer to attend college early. This opened up his eyes to helping people with his knowledge.

Polina DeClue: Law

A student who exemplifies the virtue of Law is one who seeks to know the truth and its actions. This student pursues guidelines and boundaries and alters his or her behavior accordingly. The words in this definition describe Polina because she has a passion for law, and she one day hopes to become a lawyer. Polina can often be seen standing up for other students. She aims to be a role model for her younger sister, which inspired her to represent others as well as take on leadership positions.

“I try to do what I can to make each day more positive for those around me and to stand for what I believe is right,” said Polina.

Mollie Bone: Liberty

One who demonstrates beliefs in the constitutional freedoms of our country and is innovative and self-driven, as were those who founded our country and colonized our state, demonstrates Liberty. This award suits Mollie because she goes out of her way to lead others in the right direction. Mollie continues to be a leader and role model for all people. She has shown others that she has earned this award by working with the Megan Meier Foundation for kids suffering from bullying. Mollie is a motivated person who helps others in any way possible.

Brian Niehaus: Progress

This student demonstrating Progress is one who takes his school or community beyond the present and sends it moving forward into an era of change. Brian works hard to make a change in his community by raising money for people in need. He sees change in the little everyday things because it makes a big difference in the lives of people he helps. He also donates to the mission collection here at St. Dominic and helps raise money for people in need. People like Brian help our community become stronger and more united.

Lauren Jennings: Temperance

A student who exemplifies the virtue of Temperance is one who demonstrates moderate behavior—one who rarely gets worked up and can remain calm in threatening situations. Lauren lives out this definition in her everyday life. Lauren is the person anyone can go to with any problems because she stays calm and fixes the situation. Lauren tries to live out this virtue to the fullest of her ability.

Jake Larson: Truth

A student who is in constant pursuit of the Truth represents its virtue. This student is one who perseveres until the ultimate answer is revealed. This is Jake’s second Glory Award in Truth. Jake practices being truthful in his school work and in his everyday life. Jake is living out this award by being honest to everyone he meets. People nowadays think it is easier to lie to get themselves out of tough situations. People like Jake keep our community honest and strong.

Lexi Browning: Virtue

A student who exemplifies Virtue is one of outstanding character. This student not only conducts himself or herself with moral excellence, but they stand for it as well. This definition completely describes how Lexi lives her life. She is involved in cheerleading and soccer at St. Dominic, which allows her to show her good sportsmanship in all that she does. She is a role model for anyone who meets her. She is kind and polite to everyone she comes in contact with. People like Lexi are fun to be around because of their good morals.

“I enjoy being kind to everyone I am involved with whether it be sports or school; even the opponents in sport games show that I have high standards I want to live by,” said Lexi.