Taking it One Step Further: Individualized Learning

Mrs. Kelly Faulkner, Ms. Shannon Fox and Mr. Andrew Wilson are crucial resources for a number of students at St. Dominic. While many may have heard of these faculty members, most have no idea just how important their work is.

Mrs. Faulkner is an academic advisor whose office hides in the dungeon across from Mr. Hennekes. She helps students by reteaching complex lessons, assisting students with testing accommodations and bridging the gap between parents and teachers.

“I offer support to any student who might be struggling with a class or with schoolwork in general. If a student is looking for help in advocating for themselves, time-management, study skills, test preparation help and/or writing assistance they can come and see me,” said Mrs. Faulkner.

Right next door is Mr. Wilson. He and Mrs. Faulkner work almost hand in hand to assist students. If you have not gone to Mr. Wilson for specific help, you may have visited him to sign up for peer tutoring.

“My primary role is to serve as a resource for our students and provide whatever support they need to be successful here at St. Dominic. This includes reviewing and re-teaching class material, helping with daily work, preparing students for upcoming tests and providing assistance with organization and task management. In addition, I work with teachers, administrators, counselors and parents to make sure we are meeting our students’ needs in the most effective ways. Students should see me for anything they need help with, whether it’s a homework assignment they’re struggling on, a test they need to prepare for, class work they need to catch up on or to ask questions about a lesson that just didn’t make sense in the classroom,” said Mr. Wilson.

Working along with Mrs. Faulkner and Mr. Wilson, Ms. Fox joined the SDHS faculty after John F. Kennedy high school closed, and we could not be happier to have her. Ms. Fox is currently in charge of individualized curriculum and teaches five classes, but her role at St. Dominic is about to drastically expand.

“I will be working as a learning consultant, but in a little bit more hands on way. What I will be doing is instead of kids all the time being out of classes, I will be in the classes. It’s called co-teaching and the regular teacher is still the head instructor, it’s still their classroom, but I’m going to assist with anything that they need, reteach or work with the kids that are even a little higher. Primarily, I will assist the teacher in any way I can,” said Ms. Fox.

Mrs. Faulkner, Mr. Wilson and Ms. Fox are part of what makes St. Dominic such a great school. They are the key to offering expanded education and making sure no student gets left behind. If you think you could benefit from working with any of these faculty members, reach out and experience exactly what they have to offer.