Freshman Girls Off And Running

More stories from Jake Benoist

With only eight players, there is much to do in practice.

The SDHS freshman girls’ basketball team won both the Francis Howell North and Notre Dame tournaments to start the season. The team, off to a 9-0 start, has hopes of a fantastic season, despite only having eight players.

“Being a small team, we haven’t been able to do five-on-five at practice to see how we would play against defense. We were successful this past week because each girl stepped up and played great basketball, said Coach Linnsee McMahan.

The girls have proved that there are no limitations to success. For example, consider last week’s tournaments.

image
    Freshman girls work hard to keep their season perfect.

“We’ve got a lot of dependable players. Some teams have weakness; we have a lot of good passers and good shots,” said Abby Benedict.

After winning the Notre Dame tournament, the team moved on to the Francis Howell North tournament, where the team had impressive victories.

“We knew it was going to be tough,” said Benedict.

The girls have definitely been busy, their first six games taking place all within the same week. While that may seem exhausting, the girls were determined to prove themselves. And they did just that.

“I believe the mindset for the two tournaments last week was to see what we are made of. I think what separates us from other freshman teams is our determination. If you look out on the basketball court at any time of the game you will notice that every girl is determined to do the best they can for the team. Yes, you will see smiles and laughing but you can see the determination on their faces to work hard,” said Coach McMahan.

While the team is undoubtedly talented on its own, practice makes perfect.

“She gives us what we can handle. We’re all hard workers,” said Riley Luetkenhaus. “We are definitely going to keep winning.”

While Coach McMahan expects the team to win this year, she has much larger goals for the players.

“The expectations for this freshman team is to continue to grow as basketball players. I want them to learn as much as they can about basketball so next year they can continue to help build the program here at St. Dominic,” said Coach McMahan.