The student news site of St. Dominic High School

IOS 11

September 22, 2017

The new IOS 11 update for iPhone and iPad has turned these already highly equipped devices into an even more advanced and intelligent operating system.

“A giant step for iPhone. A monumental leap for iPad,” said Apple.

With the new update on the iPad, more features have been added to make getting work done quicker, easier and more personal. The first of these features is the new Files app. All one’s files can be found in a single app now, and can be accessed by other personal IOS devices, in iCloud Drive or from other storage services. There is also a new Dock added to the bottom of the screen. With just a swipe, one can see a customized list of apps, allowing quick and easy access. The new update also makes multitasking better than ever. One can now open a second app from the Dock and drag it in the Slide Over, while still keeping the previous app open. A new Drag and Drop feature has also been added. It allows you to drag text, photos and files across apps while in Split View. Drag anything, anywhere!

Apple Pencil for iPad Pro has also been given more functions, allowing personal creativity to come alive when doing work. Instant Markup makes it easier and faster to write on PDFs and screenshots. Instant Notes is similar, just tap the Lock screen with your pencil and start taking notes that are automatically saved in Notes. Inline Drawing can be done in Notes or in Mail, so that now written words can be searched. Scan and Sign is a new Document Scanner in Notes. Hold the camera in front of a document and it automatically crops the image and removes glares.

New keyboard features are also available. Now, there is no more switching back and forth between keyboards because symbols, numbers, and punctuation marks can all be accessed on one. Augmented reality technology is also new, providing endless possibilities to view one’s world in a new way. For example, one could digitally reorganize a closet or see what one would look like with a new hair cut. Live Photos are now “livelier than ever” and can be turned into a “loop,” “bounce” or “long exposure.” A completely redesigned and modified App Store lets users discover must-have apps, see stories from experts and provides more lists of different kinds of apps, making it easier to find exactly what one needs.

However, perhaps the most dramatic change yet is Siri’s new voice. She now has a more expressive and natural voice, and has even become a personal DJ. Simply ask Siri to play some music, and a favorite song will begin playing based on Apple Music history. Siri also wants to get to know the user and works to make suggestions in all apps based on search history. Siri can even tell a person’s arrival time based on when he/she says they are on their way.

A new control center can be personalized and redesigned to fit one’s needs. Add tons of commands and shortcuts to apps with just a few taps. The Lock screen has also been improved, so now one can see not only recent notifications, but all the ones that were missed too. A new and amazing safety feature is linked with the Do Not Disturb option. Sensing when one is driving, his/her iPhone will hide notifications and automatically inform others they are driving.

These are just some of the most dramatic changes to iPhone and iPad, so with more features at one’s fingertips, be sure to update all Apple devices!