How To Homecoming

Sophomores enjoying their freshmen year homecoming.

Homecoming can be a stressful time, after all, you have to have the perfect dress, date, hair and makeup, right?

Actually, wrong! Whether this is your very first homecoming or you’re trying to make the most of your last, the big dance should be a fun time with your friends where you can make memories that will last a lifetime. Here’s a guide with some tips that I’ve learned over the years that can make your homecoming experience much more memorable.

The Dress:
Wear something you can dance in! Having fun with your friends is what homecoming is all about, and I can promise you it won’t be nearly as much fun if you’re wearing a dress that doesn’t allow you to jump around the gym. Also, remember that you don’t have to break your bank: there are plenty of places to buy some cheap, yet still adorable dresses. If you’re ever stuck, take a look at Lulu’s, PromGirl or Hut 8.

The Date:
You’ve probably seen just about every high school movie, where it seems like a necessity to go to homecoming with a date, or else suffer the utter embarrassment of not having one. However, I can assure you that it is nothing more than a stereotype. As long as you’re there with the people you love, it will be a great night.

The Pictures:
I personally love taking pictures with my friends, and it’s such a great way to keep memories alive. However, don’t stress about getting the perfect picture to post on Instagram. Instead, get as many pictures with as many people as possible; you’ll regret it later if you don’t! You only get four years with your classmates, so take as many pictures with them as you can!

The Dance:
Walking into a dark, crowded gym full of people jumping around to blaring music can be a little intimidating, especially if this is your first high school dance. However, don’t let the intimidation hold you back from a night you will remember forever! While it may seem like all eyes are on you, nothing could be farther from the truth. So get out there and make the most of your homecoming night out on the dance floor.

What To Do After:
The fun doesn’t have to end at 10:00! There are plenty of ways to keep the night going and get the most out of your homecoming experience. However, the best way is obviously food. After a busy day of getting ready and a night of dancing, you’re going to be hungry. Places such as IHOP, Steak ‘n Shake, Taco Bell and McDonald’s all have 24 hour service.

As spirit weeks draws to a close and the anticipation for homecoming is higher than ever, just keep in mind the things that really matter—making memories that will last a lifetime and spending homecoming with the people who make you smile.