Apple Sets a New Standard

September 22, 2017

On September 12, Apple released information for the first time ever at the new Steve Jobs Theater. At the Apple Special Event they released the Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4, Apple TV 4K, IOS 11, iPhone 8 and the much anticipated iPhone X.

Apple Watch Series 3

Apple Watch Series 3

“Freedom calls,” is the phrase Apple has chosen to describe the newest watch. With the Series 3 watch, one can be totally free from their phone and travel with just his/her watch due to the new cellular connection the watch holds. This new capability allows the user to make phone calls, send text messages, stream millions of songs and get notifications from hundreds of apps at the convenience of one’s wrist. Users can now leave their iPhones at home, and still be up to date on their reminders, pull up directions to a new restaurant and utilize Siri.

In addition to the basic Apple features, Apple has yet again outdone themselves by turning the Apple Watch into a sports watch. The new cellular connectivity work perfectly here, allowing users to check up on messages while they are on a run or even swimming laps. That’s right, the new watch is waterproof and will even keep track of workout time, amount of calories burned, laps completed and one’s total distance in yards. GPS and Altimeter technology has also been added for those who love hikes and long distance. Whether one is at the top of a mountain or on a treadmill in a basement, one can stream up to 40 million songs to get motivated. Live radio stations and a personal DJ (Siri), are also available at the raise of a wrist. Apple Watch Series 3 is in stores today. The different styles of watches range from $329 all the way to $1,399.

watchOS 4

watchOS 4

Along with Apple Watch Series 3 is the new watch update, watchOS 4.

“A smarter coach and workout partner. Better in tune with your taste in music. And an even more proactive all-day assistant. With watchOS 4, Apple Watch is dialed in to you like never before,” said Apple.

The new update has been built to conform to the user, giving everyone their own unique watch. For example, the Apple Watch sends alerts and encouragements when one is close to reaching a goal, and is even smart enough to know when one may need a push in the right direction– even offering you specified guidance on how to complete a challenge. There are also options where the Apple Watch can monitor your goals monthly, and help keep one long term goal.

Like the Apple Watch Series 3, the new watchOS 4 has some great new workout based updates. It only takes a simple tap to start a workout, and when one is completed, new celebration effects are sent. More intense training options are also available. Heart rate, motion and the amount of calories burned can all be tracked and recorded, in addition to the new “Pool Swim” tracking features. Pace, sets, rests and distance for each stroke type can all be summarized for convenience and tracking progress over long periods. The new update is also perfect for training for multiple sports at once with the “Quick Switch” option. It allows one to alternate between different types of workouts, and then be able to view an overall summary at the end.

In addition to the workout based updates are new design options, such as a new watch face. One option is based on Siri and shows helpful information based on when one would need it. The second is a kaleidoscope watch face. New colorful and complicated patterns can be seen moving and changing on the face, leaving something fun to look and mess around with during the day. The last is an all new Toy Story option. One can watch their favorite characters from the movies move around their watch face.

The last newest feature involves Apple Pay. One can now send money right to their friends in a secure and easy way! The same simplicity and security applies for receiving money as well. The money can be saved and available for payments through Apple Pay.

This new update is now available, don’t miss the chance to check it out!

Apple TV 4K

Apple TV 4K

Apple has come out with the newest TV, emphasizing 4K HDR quality.

With the new 4K HDR comes a large and diverse selection of movies compatible with the higher quality. The new TV also offer live streaming of news and sports from your favorite apps. As if this isn’t convenient enough, the Apple TV goes a step further and even places everything you watch into one spot. There’s no need to switch from one app to another; the TV is capable of browsing between 60 video services. There is also a “What to Watch” tab that shows recommendations based on past picks. All of these features are also available on the go! With the new Apple TV App, one’s iPhone, iPad and Apple TV are all linked, so it’s never a problem to pause on one device and pick up on the next.

“4K gives you a crisper picture using four times more pixels than standard HD. High Dynamic Range (HDR) delivers brighter, more realistic colors and greater detail. From the hottest new movie to your favorite TV show, everything is more life-like than ever,” said Apple.

Another exciting feature on the Apple TV 4K is Siri. Say goodbye to wasting time typing out a specific movie, now all one has to do is ask Siri for movies, TV shows or songs in 4K. New interactive games are also available with the A10X Fusion chip. Adding accessories can take the virtual world to a whole new experience on the TV as well. Accompanying the new games and accessories are one’s personal photos, videos and music, all linked to their TV. This makes it easier to share pictures, presentations, videos, etc. The final feature to the TV is the technology of the Home app — it can now be controlled through the Apple TV.

“With the Home app, you can easily and securely control all your HomeKit accessories. Ask Siri to turn off the lights from your iPhone. See who’s at the front door on your iPad. Control things remotely with the help of Apple TV. Even tell the HomePod to turn up the music. The Home app makes all your connected devices work harder — and smarter — for you,” said Apple.

The Apple TV 4K is available now online and in stores. The 32GB1 is $179 and the 64GB1 is $199.

IOS 11

IOS 11

The new IOS 11 update for iPhone and iPad has turned these already highly equipped devices into an even more advanced and intelligent operating system.

“A giant step for iPhone. A monumental leap for iPad,” said Apple.

With the new update on the iPad, more features have been added to make getting work done quicker, easier and more personal. The first of these features is the new Files app. All one’s files can be found in a single app now, and can be accessed by other personal IOS devices, in iCloud Drive or from other storage services. There is also a new Dock added to the bottom of the screen. With just a swipe, one can see a customized list of apps, allowing quick and easy access. The new update also makes multitasking better than ever. One can now open a second app from the Dock and drag it in the Slide Over, while still keeping the previous app open. A new Drag and Drop feature has also been added. It allows you to drag text, photos and files across apps while in Split View. Drag anything, anywhere!

Apple Pencil for iPad Pro has also been given more functions, allowing personal creativity to come alive when doing work. Instant Markup makes it easier and faster to write on PDFs and screenshots. Instant Notes is similar, just tap the Lock screen with your pencil and start taking notes that are automatically saved in Notes. Inline Drawing can be done in Notes or in Mail, so that now written words can be searched. Scan and Sign is a new Document Scanner in Notes. Hold the camera in front of a document and it automatically crops the image and removes glares.

New keyboard features are also available. Now, there is no more switching back and forth between keyboards because symbols, numbers, and punctuation marks can all be accessed on one. Augmented reality technology is also new, providing endless possibilities to view one’s world in a new way. For example, one could digitally reorganize a closet or see what one would look like with a new hair cut. Live Photos are now “livelier than ever” and can be turned into a “loop,” “bounce” or “long exposure.” A completely redesigned and modified App Store lets users discover must-have apps, see stories from experts and provides more lists of different kinds of apps, making it easier to find exactly what one needs.

However, perhaps the most dramatic change yet is Siri’s new voice. She now has a more expressive and natural voice, and has even become a personal DJ. Simply ask Siri to play some music, and a favorite song will begin playing based on Apple Music history. Siri also wants to get to know the user and works to make suggestions in all apps based on search history. Siri can even tell a person’s arrival time based on when he/she says they are on their way.

A new control center can be personalized and redesigned to fit one’s needs. Add tons of commands and shortcuts to apps with just a few taps. The Lock screen has also been improved, so now one can see not only recent notifications, but all the ones that were missed too. A new and amazing safety feature is linked with the Do Not Disturb option. Sensing when one is driving, his/her iPhone will hide notifications and automatically inform others they are driving.

These are just some of the most dramatic changes to iPhone and iPad, so with more features at one’s fingertips, be sure to update all Apple devices!

iPhone 8

iPhone 8

The new iPhone 8 includes all the features that come with the new IOS 11 update, and even more! A new design, camera, chip and way of charging, sets the iPhone to a new standard.

An all-glass design may seem like a risky move, but the water and dust resistant glass is the strongest ever to be used in a smartphone. Charging with an annoying wire is also a thing of the past with an all glass back! These phones come in two new sizes as well! Choose between the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch.

On these new screens also comes an all-new Retina HD display with True Tone and 3D Touch. Say goodbye to trying to find a shaded area to do homework and hello to True Tone technology. The screen colors will balance with the light, making it easier to work on projects anywhere. More bright and vibrant colors also allow pictures to appear as real and life-like as ever.

iPhone 8 also comes with a much more advanced camera with even more options. It has a new and improved sensor, color filter, pixels and optical image stabilization. Portrait mode has also been updated to have sharper focused images and blurred scenery. New Portrait lighting also adds more professional looking effects onto pictures. On the iPhone 8 Plus, telephoto lenses gives users an increased zoom with more clarity.

The new chip installed in the iPhone 8 is called the A11 Bionic. It is overall faster, more battery efficient and powers augmented reality apps. Wireless charging is also now possible with the new design and technology. The AirPower mat makes this possible. All one has to do is set his/her device on the mat, and it will charge.

The iPhone 8 is now available and can be purchased for $699 (4.7-inch) or for $799 (5.5-inch).

iPhone X

iPhone X

The new iPhone X has a design and display unlike any before.

“Our vision has always been to create an iPhone that is entirely screen. One so immersive the device itself disappears into the experience. And so intelligent it can respond to a tap, your voice and even a glance. With iPhone X, that vision is now a reality. Say hello to the future,” said Apple.

The iPhone X is 5.8-inches of pure screen, a new size and design for Apple. This means no more Home button. Instead, natural gestures and swipes can take the user anywhere they wish to go. The same all-glass design as the iPhone 8 is also featured on the iPhone X, meaning wireless charging is also compatible with this iPhone model. The A11 Bionic chip is also in the iPhone X. Not to mention, there is a more efficient battery life, lasting up to two hours longer than the iPhone 7 battery life.

While many of the features are the same between the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, a unique feature to iPhone X is that the screen is the first iPhone with OLED, which allows more precise colors, true blacks and higher brightness. A TrueDepth camera is also new; it includes new technology which makes Face ID possible. It issecure enough to allow Face ID to partner with Apple Pay and will learn and adapt to changes in appearance. With this new camera, the same effects available in the IOS 11 update are also all available with the iPhone X. However, there are still more amazing features with the iPhone X such as a Animoji.

“The TrueDepth camera analyzes more than 50 different muscle movements to mirror your expressions in 12 Animoji. Reveal your inner panda, pig, or robot,” said Apple.

The iPhone X is a phone of the future, with the most advanced design and display yet. Pre-order the iPhone X for either $49.91/month or in full for $999 on October 27, and it will be available on November 3.