Little Ones and Legacies: Life After St. Dominic

Students and faculty alike are wondering what our favorite teachers from the past are up to now. Even with the edition of seven new teachers, we are still missing our St. Dominic staples.

One teacher opening up a new chapter of her life is Mrs. Caroline McClure. She taught Investigative Science and Biology at St. Dominic, but is now enjoying her time as a new mom. Her beautiful baby boy, Teddy, was born June 2, weighing eight pounds and eleven ounces.

“Life as a new mom has been a mix of many emotions including love, joy and panic! There’s no “baby manual” so a lot of being a mom has been trial and error, but it’s been so rewarding to figure out what does and does not work for our little man. In the last few weeks, Teddy has started playing with toys, enjoying games like peek-a- boo and trying to roll over,” said Mrs. McClure.

Much like Mrs. McClure is taking time to be with Teddy, Mr. Rick and Mrs. Norma Overberg now have time to devote to their grandchildren.

“We spent more time with our grandchildren, [have] been babysitting, [and] going to kid’s soccer games, which we couldn’t do because we always had homework,” said Mrs. Overberg.

The Overbergs care about every SDHS student, regardless if you had a class with them or not. Even though they are in retirement, you can still catch them occasionally on St. Dominic’s campus enjoying things like a field hockey game.

Last but not least, we have Mr. Dennis Mathews. He was always a St. Dominic staple and continues to stay at the center of the St. Dominic community. Mr. Mathews has kept himself busy gardening and just enjoying life. Unfortunately, he recently experienced a heart attack, but is recovering well. He was even spotted at visiting St. Dominic earlier this week, visiting his old co-workers and students at the school. 

While walking the halls of St. Dominic does not feel quite the same without these people, we are very blessed to have their positions filled by gifted teachers, sure to leave their own legacies at St. Dominic.