The New and Old on Varsity Volleyball

It’s rare for the St. Dominic ladies’ varsity volleyball team to take on underclassmen, but this year the team has two new freshmen. Freshmen Natalie Gildehaus and Audrey Weber have proved to the coaches they are varsity material. Not to mention, seniors Lexi Burkemper and Kelly Sitz are ready to make their last season count and leave their mark. This season will be one for the books!

After winning their games against Rosati-Kain, Francis Howell Central, Notre Dame, Duchesne and the Borgia tournament, our volleyball ladies are undefeated. For the freshmen, St. Dominic volleyball has been different than anything else they have experienced.

“Being a freshman on varsity was pretty intimidating at first, until I realized I didn’t need to feel intimidated because everyone is so accepting. On my club team, some of my teammates would get intense, but they would start yelling and get mad, which just brought us all down as a team. On Dominic, the intensity is more empowering,” said Weber.

While being the youngest was frightening at first, the team has bonded in ways that has allowed the freshmen to forget about age difference. The team visited their coach’s farm, sang “little Sally Walker,” blared music in the locker room and have also continued the tradition of freshmen being kidnapped by the seniors. With even more memories in the making, a lifelong sisterhood is sure to come from the volleyball girls.

The girls truly leading this family are the seniors. Watching the freshmen join the team that they will be leaving shortly encourages them to really push the players to new heights and leave a lasting legacy.

“My advice to the freshmen would be that high school is too short to think about the ‘what ifs.’ every chance you can, go support your friends and other teams and make yourself a good reputation,” said Burkemper.

Gildehaus and Weber are ready to begin their St. Dominic journey and follow in the footsteps of Burkemper and Sitz. The seniors have impacted and influenced them in so many ways on and off the court. The bond between the these ladies will bring a new dynamic to the court, and hopefully drive them to State. You won’t want to miss watching the girls compete in any more games, because this season will be one to remember.